Song: Lambi Judai, char dino ka pyar. Movie: Hero.

Viewing 11 reply threads
  • Author
      vivi77
      Participant

Can anybody help me and translate this song.

Many thanks.

Bichhde abhi to ham bas kal parson
      Jioongi main kaise, is haal mein barson
      Maut na aayi teri yaad kyon aayi
      Hay lambi judai
      Chaar dinon ka pyaar ho rabba
      Badi lambi judai, lambi judai
      Honthon pe aaye meri jaan duhai
      Hay lambi judai

Ek to sajan mere paas nahin re
      Duje milan di koi aas nahin re -2
      Uspe yeh sawan aaya -2
      Aag lagaayi, hay lambi judai

Toote zamaane tere haath nigode, haath nigode
      Dil se dilon ke tune sheeshe tode, sheeshe tode
      Hijr ki oonchi, hijr ki oonchi deevaar banaayi
      Hay lambi judai

Baag ujad gaye, baag ujad gaye khilne se pehle
      Panchhi bichhad gaye milne se pehle -2
      Koyal ki kook, koyal ki kook ne hook uthaayi
      Hay lambi judai
      Honthon pe aaye meri jaan, duhai
      Hay lambi judai

Marine
      Participant

Hey vivi77 welcome to the forum is this from a movie?

noni
      Participant

its from the hindi film HERO. its a bit old allready but the film and the music are cool.

Madhu
      Participant

Bichhde abhi to ham bas kal parson
      we separated just yesterday or the day before
      Jioongi main kaise, is haal mein barson
      how will I live in this condition for years
      Maut na aayi teri yaad kyon aayi
      death did not come, why did your memory come
      Hay lambi judai
      alas long separation
      the love was just 4 days oh God
      very long separation, long separation
      Honthon pe aaye meri jaan duhai
      on my lips come a lament or prayer, my love/life
      Hay lambi judai
      alas long separation

Ek to sajan mere paas nahin re
      one my lover is not close to me
      Duje milan di koi aas nahin re -2
      secondly there is no hope of meeting him
      Uspe yeh sawan aaya -2
      On top of that this month of Saawan has come
      Aag lagaayi, hay lambi judai
      it lit a fire, alas long separation

the world has broken your worthless hands, worthless hands
      Dil se dilon ke tune sheeshe tode, sheeshe tode
      with the heart you broke the mirrors of the heart, broke mirrors
      Hijr ki oonchi, hijr ki oonchi deevaar banaayi
      you have made a high wall of separation, of separation
      Hay lambi judai
      alas long separation
      the love was just 4 days long oh God

Baag ujad gaye, baag ujad gaye khilne se pehle
      the gardens are ruined, the gardens are ruined before blossoming
      Panchhi bichhad gaye milne se pehle -2
      birds separated even before meeting
      Koyal ki kook, koyal ki kook ne hook uthaayi
      the cuckoo, the cuckoo is lamenting
      Hay lambi judai
      alas long separation
      the love was just 4 days long oh God
      very long separation
      Honthon pe aaye meri jaan, duhai
      on my lips come a lament or a prayer, my love/life
      Hay lambi judai
      alas long separation

Madhu Smile [:)]

vivi77
      Participant

many many thanks madhu 🙂

Madhu
      Participant

You are most welcome. It is a lovely song. I like many songs from this movie and I actually liked the movie too.

noni
      Participant

hi madhu,

first of all thanks for translation. then i wanted to ask that this is not fully hindi right? is a bit punjabi grammatik in it too right? i am jut learning hindi again so 2 things of ur translation an wanted to ask about are:

Uspe yeh sawan aaya -2
      i would think: on that this song came? /then this month came? or ?

maybe: this broken world has crippeld ur hands ?

can these 2 sentences be also translated that ways.? or am i wrong with smthing? thanks for ur help..

noni

noni
      Participant

if madhu dont have time can somebody else tell me if i am wrong or not and if yes then in which way.. thanks for any help

noni

Madhu
      Participant

quote:

Originally posted by noni

hi madhu,

first of all thanks for translation. then i wanted to ask that this is not fully hindi right? is a bit punjabi grammatik in it too right? i am jut learning hindi again so 2 things of ur translation an wanted to ask about are:

Uspe yeh sawan aaya -2
      i would think: on that this song came? /then this month came? or ?

maybe: this broken world has crippeld ur hands ?

can these 2 sentences be also translated that ways.? or am i wrong with smthing? thanks for ur help..

noni

Sorry for the late response. Things have been hectic at home and I have not been able to visit the forum. You are right that there are a few Punjabi words mixed in but essentially the song is in Hindi.

And then this month came is what they are trying to say. However, Sawan is the name of the month in question. It is also the month at least according to Bollywood movies when people are more romantic and seem to be missing their mates more. I don’t know if there really is a magical reason why you would miss your mate more in this month than in others. There is none according to me but in Bollywood movies they always talk about missing your loved one more in the month of Saawan. If I had to speculate I would say this dates back to the times when newly wed brides would return to their parents homes in the month of Saawan. It was traditional for the brother to visit his sister and bring her back to her parents home in Saawan and she would then be home for Raksha Bandhan which is on the Saawan Purnima (full moon) day. Thus creating a separation between the husband and wife so at night they long for each other and at least in movies sing romantic songs portraying how they miss each other. This is the only reason I can come up with for this sudden longing for each other in Saawan. This is what the singer seems to be portraying in this song when she says that on top of every thing else the month of Saawan is here and is lighting this fire. If you are interested you can find more information about Saawan and Raksha Bandhan etc. on my website. Look at the index on the left for Hindu Festivals and then go to Raksha Bandhan. The URL for it is http://madhu90210.tripod.com/index.html

The broken world crippling your hands may be one way of translating it. Since I am not the one who wrote the song I can only guess what the lyricists intent was. However, NIGODE is definitely worthless and since “haath nigode” is repeated they definitely mean worthless hands. Is it the broken world who has rendered your hands worthless or is it the world has broken your hands and made it worthless? Take your pick. With songs the lyrics are not always precise and exact translations don’t always work. The thought they are trying to convey is that she feels helpless due to the separation that the world has caused. In this particular situation and I know this because I have seen the movie, the hero Jackie Shroff was put in jail and that is why the heroine Meenakshi Sheshadri feels that society or the world is responsible for her helplessness.

Sorry the response got so long. Once again I apologize for the delay in responding to your question.

Khushi
      Participant

Madhuji mujhe maaf kijiye ga, main aapki site par bin bulaaye gayi. lekin main yeh kehna chahoongi ki aapka gaana mujhe bohot pasand aaya! naam gum jaayega Smile [:)]

~* Taaveez Banaake Pehnoon Use, Aayat Ki Tarah Mil Jaaye Kahin *~

Madhu
      Participant

Khushi Ji:

aapne gaanaa pasand kiyaa, ye jaan kar mujhe prasanntaa ***. public website hai isliye aap ko nimantran kee aawashyakta naheen hai. mai to chaahtee hoon ki log wahaan jaayen. meraa gaanaa sunne ke liye naheen, balki maine jo kuch bhee sangeet ekatrit kiyaa hai aur yahaan par daalaa hai uskaa aanand utthaane ke liye. yaa phir jo kuch bhee mai apnee sabhyataa yaa reeti-riwaazon ke baare mei likh sakee hoon, usko parhne ke liye. agar aap log wahaan naheen jaayengee to meri saari mehnat aur koshish wyarth ho jaayegee. aap ne meri website dekhi, ye baat mujhe achhee lagee.

(I am happy to know that you liked the song. It is a public website so you do not need an invitation to view the website. I wish that people go visit the website, not to listen to me sing, but so that they may enjoy the music I have collected and uploaded. Or that they may read what I have written about our culture or customs. If no one visits the website then that means my hard work and attempts will go to waste. I like the fact that you visited my website.)

waise ye baaten shaayad ‘say something’ forum mei hum logon ko karnee chaahiye. kyonki ye baaten is gaane kee panktiyon ke baare mei naheen hain.

(Though perhaps we should talk about this in the ‘say something’ forum since this is not related to the lyrics of this song.)

noni
      Participant

thank u madhu. no need to be sorry if u dont had time. i visited also ur site but i will visit it often to check things out with time.

i guess i will post from time to time some lyrics but it is also fun to translate them by myslef though it takes time. but i am learning hindi again so i will be there soon 🙂

noni

Viewing 11 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.