Viewing 257 reply threads
  • Author
      haniirani
      Participant

I thought we can start a thread on books!

Then maybe we can share and maybe discuss our thoughts and views on books read!

Big Smile

Mukesh
      Keymaster

Gr8 idea …am not sure if ther'll be many interested but ye can count me in….Big Smile

errr except If I do any reviews, will probably spoil the plot by giving away too much Winkhehehehe

….how to begin>>> okies Huh?

1.I recently read a novel by James Patterson, called London Bridges…..its a suspense/thriller, crime solving …page turner….loved it !!!!! one of his better novels…

Suggest u read it…then we can have a good ol discussion ..watye say ??

Maybe we should have a format that can be followed, will check with my fwend who does have a book club and get back with sum ideas….Big Smile

cheerz

Bolly_Lover
      Participant

wow this is a really cool idea!! =)

i just finished my exams for this semester and am hoping to get some reading done, so if anyone has any suggestions please let me knw!

Mukesh
      Keymaster

tonz of suggestions

am a bietlie busy now, will b back ltr

watch dis space

🙂

nitzah
      Participant

Jansen Directive by Robert Ludlum
      If you like the series “24” and the Bourne movies you’ll enjoy this book…lotsa twists and turns from the start…not as suspensful as James Patterson novels..but a good read !

Yemenilicious
      Participant

let's see. firstly, I have to say, I think i'm going to love this thread.

I just finished reading a book called “Tuesdays with Morrie” by Mitch Albom. it was recommended by a friend of mine. It's an easy read but has a great moral to it. I recommend that u read it as well.

“The Catcher in the Rye” by J.D. Salinger is also pretty good. Smile

nitzah
      Participant

wow…u can read ?? join the circus !! ppl will pay to watch some tricks !!

Yemenilicious
      Participant

how come i knew ur reply to this..ur lame!! why don't share some good books with us pleej?

serioComic
      Participant
      Yemenilicious:
      how come i knew ur reply to this..ur lame!! why don't share some good books with us pleej?

awwwww…come on dude. she wants u to share things with her 😉

Yemenilicious
      Participant

u know what dude! take this outside this thread!..don't take it anywhere at all actually. I love books! theyre my best friends Smile. U have good books to share..then share em..else go mess w/ ppl outta here! baha Big Smile

Mukesh
      Keymaster

Okay, heres my suggestions:

1. James Patterson – crime, suspense, thriller, keeps u on the edge of yr seat ( so to speak ) writer…..have read most of his novels and think they are fabulous reads

1. Jeffrey Deaver – crime, suspense, thriller… obviously has his own technique in keeping readers engrossed with his novels…also read most of his novels…

1. Dean Koontz – horror, horror, horror, if ur into being scared shitless, read his novels…I cant stomach most of what this dude comes up with but being a thrill seeker, I still read novels by Him occasionally

1. Una Mary Parker – okies have read sum of her novels, am not sure what category she falls under…but u can check out her novels

1. Mary Higgins Clark – the dame with flare for suspense, crime… read almost all her novels, a bit monotonous – but keeps me entertained…so if ur interested, take out a book by her…

1. Catherine Cookson – My all time favourite author, more a drama, family orientated novelist, very emotional at times but seeing as I read 95% of all her novels, I guess no harm in recommendation.

1. Catrin Collier –
      nitzah
      Participant
      Yemenilicious:
      I love books! theyre my best friends Smile.

baaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahahhahahahahahhahhahahahahhahahaha !! oh man…i…cant…even…top….that….!! ROFL

Yemenilicious
      Participant

yeah, i knew ur reply to that also Smile don't choke now!

nitzah
      Participant

i’ll try not to !!

RaNi iS ThE BeS
      Participant
      Scar face:
      1. The devil wears Pradacan’t remember the author, just thought I’d mention it coz I know the movie is out…very disappointing, suggest one reads the book instead…. Career orientated women… 😉 …forsake ALL, even love for yr career?? !!!

The devil wears Parda? Interesting…Thanks for suggesting it!

Ninja – Catcher in the rye is a really good book, I liked it too!

You guys should read Great Expectations, by Charles Dickens.

Yemenilicious
      Participant

Charles Dickens is a great writer..i love his work!

haniirani
      Participant
      Scar face:

1. Search some lady called BANNERJI – mistress of spices, read the book …absolutely loved it…romantic, mystical, beautiful novel…didn’t get to watch the movie yet, hope it does justice….

Oh great! We have a common book there! Anyway, it's by Chitra Banerjee Divakaruni. Big Smile

1. The devil wears Pradacan’t remember the author, just thought I’d mention it coz I know the movie is out…very disappointing, suggest one reads the book instead…. Career orientated women… 😉 …forsake ALL, even love for yr career?? !!!

I'm actually gonna watch this story soon. I'll see how it goes.. Maybe it would be better reading?

Has anybody read anything by paulo coelho? I really enjoyed reading The Zahir.

And still have not gotten around to reading another by him, The Alchemist.

Mukesh
      Keymaster

Oh great! We have a common book there! Anyway, it's by Chitra Banerjee Divakaruni. Big Smile,

yep dats the name I was looking for 😉 …watye think of this novel Missy Hani??

I loved it, felt like i was in a magical world in the middle of usa hehehehe ..

I'm actually gonna watch this story soon. I'll see how it goes.. Maybe it would be better reading?

Yep, like I suggested, go read the book, much more captivating than the movie….

Has anybody read anything by paulo coelho? nope, will check it out…..THE ALCHEMIST??? hmmmm sounds interesting

I once read a novel by Amanda Quick, cant remember wat the title is….and it revolved around an alchemist …love…revenge….

interesting …

I really enjoyed reading The Zahir.

Mukesh
      Keymaster
      Yemenilicious:
      Charles Dickens is a great writer..i love his work!

charles Dickens?? jeesh, we'r talking about reading going down 2 decades here …lol

Mukesh
      Keymaster
      nitzah:
      Jansen Directive by Robert Ludlum If you like the series “24” and the Bourne movies you'll enjoy this book…lotsa twists and turns from the start…not as suspensful as James Patterson novels..but a good read !

lmao …eeeemmmmprrrreeeeesssssiiiiveeee…

the dead can read ??lmao

Yemenilicious
      Participant
      Scar face:

lmao …eeeemmmmprrrreeeeesssssiiiiveeee…

the dead can read ??lmao

I know right. loll!

Mukesh
      Keymaster

NO, i mean I am SERIOUSLY impressed with him

firstly he knws James patterson….

secondly he reads

now if I wasnt already “involved” hehehehehehe

just kidding….but am still impressed with the guy…

serioComic
      Participant
      Scar face:

secondly he reads

told u dude…she has the hotz for u all this while! and u played the right cards by impressing her w yr love for books Wink

Mukesh
      Keymaster
      serioComic:
      Scar face:

secondly he reads

told u dude… u guys talking about me AGAIN !!!!she has the hotz for u all this while! YEAH i do ….never kept it a secret….me thinks Nitzkar is HOT… and u played the right cards by impressing her w yr love for books Wink,

serioComic
      Participant

of course we talkin bout u miss i-have-the-hotz-for-nitz !!

Mukesh
      Keymaster
      serioComic:
      of course we talkin bout u miss i-have-the-hotz-for-nitz !!

Huh? ooookaaaaaaay Cosmic, Ur becoming kinda weirdly Creeeeeeeepy dude…

btw, I'll rephrase, seeing as u have selective reading problems:

I think NITZKAR is HOT… not, I HAVE THE HOTZ for Nitz

wat to do with u dorky???

sooooo much” for bring it on” hey lmao….

is dis ALL u can come up with !!!!!

serioComic
      Participant

i have to go down to yr level u see…else u wouldnt understand a single thing!

Yemenilicious
      Participant
      serioComic:
      i have to go down to yr level u see…else u wouldnt understand a single thing!

I think there is a typo there..u mean go up to her level..hmm..its juuu who doesn't understand mang..Scarry ji, try to make things extra clear

for oreo..go easy on him Big Smile

Mukesh
      Keymaster

i have to go down to yr level u see…else u wouldnt understand a single thing – trying to change the topic now hey…..me still thinks ur crazeeee

aaaan that tooo worrying dear ol Nitzkar with ALL yr complaints about ME……

I think there is a typo there..u mean go up to her level.. U HEARD THE LADY COSMIC ……Lmao

..hmm..its juuu who doesn't understand mang..Scarry ji, try to make things extra clear

for oreo..go easy on him Big Smile ……Lmao, go easy on cosmic??? watye think Ive been doing, aaaaan he still doesnt get it

I miiiiiiiiiiiiiiisssssssssssssssssssssss Nitzkar soooo much r8 now hehehhehehehe

serioComic
      Participant

go easy on me???? pfffttttttttt….

u've got nothing. not now not ever.

Mukesh
      Keymaster
      serioComic:

go easy on me???? pfffttttttttt….lame lame lame lame

u've got nothing. not now not ever. – who said I want anything ? Neva did, still dnt, never will want ANYTHING ….

serioComic
      Participant

4 x lame? thats all u have? i rest my case.

and can u pls stick w the topic?? sheessshhhh!!

Mukesh
      Keymaster
      serioComic:

4 x lame? thats all u have? i rest my case. – giving up already hey

and can u pls stick w the topic?? sheessshhhh!! Huh? okies, WAT are u harping about NOW ???

Khushi
      Participant

The God Of Small Things – Arundhati Roy.

I love this book. She magnifies the little things you register in your head but dont notice. Boo, esp you – you'd love this book!

boo
      Participant
      ~Khushi~:

I love this book. She magnifies the little things you register in your head but dont notice. Boo, esp you – you'd love this book!

I replied to this post a while ago, but looks like it didn't register it… oh well… here goes!

OMG – GMTA!!!!!!!!!!!! is all I can say, lol… I had started that book about a month/month and a half ago, but life has been pretty crazy and I haven't had a chance since then to just… sit down and read (with some instrumental music in the background and chocolate next to me… sigh.)…

I will get round to finishing this book one day… you know, i haven't forgotten the other book you wanted me to check out – how to know god by deepak chopra (see? Big Smile) a couple of weeks ago, I was in a bookshop (yes a rare event in itself since I rarely have freaking TIME to read books – and you know how I hate saying that, but it's true. Sad) and i was thinking about which books i was looking for… and i thought of you! went and asked if they had that book in stock, and they didn't but hey… i just *ping! khushi!*… Big Smile

Unique_Princess
      Participant
      ~Khushi~:

I should be reading this book in about two weeks, its on my reading list for my Post Colonial Literature class. My dad loves that book too Smile

I've read some excellent books on my postcolonial literature class, I'd especially recommend Purple Hibiscus – Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie

and Things Fall Apart – Chinua Achebe. Nervous Conditions – Tsitsi Dangaremgba (there's also a sequel called The Book Of Not, but im yet to read it). If you're looking for theory then Black Skin White Masks is a really good read.

Other books worth reading: Memoirs of a Geisha (much better than the film, read book first!!). A Child Called It…

nitzah
      Participant

Robin Sharma = The monk who sold his ferrari

A good read to find inner peace.

Mukesh
      Keymaster

I'd especially recommend Purple Hibiscus – Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie – Sounds South African??? hmmm will check it out

and Things Fall Apart – Chinua Achebe. – YEP KNEW THIS SOUNDS FAMILIAR – lets see, 8th grade…one of my English Setbooks..

Jeez, this is many many years ….Hey Tayba, give me a summary on this please…am trying to recall what it was about…just fails me …

Nervous Conditions – Tsitsi Dangaremgba (there's also a sequel called The Book Of Not, but im yet to read it). okies am sure this is a South African Author, am I right Tayba???

If you're looking for theory then Black Skin White Masks is a really good read.

Other books worth reading: Memoirs of a Geisha (much better than the film, read book first!!). A Child Called It…

tnx…all above looks like set books to me…nevertheless will still check em out…

Mukesh
      Keymaster

okies…just completed a novel called

“till death do us part”

by

Gloria Murphy

its actually a dull boring, boring boring …dulllllllll novel

sooo ignore above…not recommendable..hahaha

ramz89
      Participant

Does my head look big in this?-Randa Abdel- Fattah (I know for a fact that no one has read it coz I made a thread to comment on it and no one replied:P) The orientation of the book is teenage-style but you'll find the author has just cleverly structured her take on difficult-to-express issues.

Dan Brown…his little collection of books…I've only read “The Da Vinci Code' and 'Angels and Demons' but i've heard great reviews about 'Digital Fortress'. Another book of his is 'Deception Point' if anyone wants to check that out and feedback to us:D He uses a similar style throughout his books so if you like one, you'll like them all Wink

Mukesh
      Keymaster
      ramz89:

Does my head look big in this?-Randa Abdel- Fattah (I know for a fact that no one has read it coz I made a thread to comment on it and no one replied:P) The orientation of the book is teenage-style but you'll find the author has just cleverly structured her take on difficult-to-express issues.

Dan Brown…his little collection of books…I've only read “The Da Vinci Code' and 'Angels and Demons' but i've heard great reviews about 'Digital Fortress'. Another book of his is 'Deception Point' if anyone wants to check that out and feedback to us:D He uses a similar style throughout his books so if you like one, you'll like them all Wink

oooooooooooooooookkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkaaaaaaaaaaaaaayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy already,

I promise I will read this book, even if I dnt find it interesting…aaaaaaand I am going to write a looooooooooooooooonnnnnnnnnnnnng indepth review on it

Jus for ye Ramz…

Dan Brown????? Jeez dats a very plain name hey —well for an author…

Am still to watch the Movie, da vinci code…is this any good, has anyone read it ??? errr watched it???

lemme know …

ramz89
      Participant

yayy great stuff scarface!

Ive read the da vinci code, i thought the book was amazing, the film has nothing on the book so pleej pleej pleej do urself a favour and read the book before you watch the film!!

Mukesh
      Keymaster
      ramz89:

yayy great stuff scarface!

Ive read the da vinci code, i thought the book was amazing, the film has nothing on the book so pleej pleej pleej do urself a favour and read the book before you watch the film!!

Hehehehe..oh now I will have to get a : TO READ LIST 😉

no need to convince me hun, now….errrr damn,my memory just fails me today…..completely forgot what i wanted to say…

anymore suggestions are welcome, am actually going to get a list done for sure….

will even read those books Nitzkar had recommended…aaaaand yeah will get sum reviews done on this thread…

Hayliehayati
      Participant

anything by Chuck Palahnuik

Invisible Monsters and Survivior are probably my favorites.

( i wanted to say something else but i forgot oh well)

Nosyira
      Participant
      haniirani:
      Scar face:

1. Search some lady called BANNERJI – mistress of spices, read the book …absolutely loved it…romantic, mystical, beautiful novel…didn’t get to watch the movie yet, hope it does justice….

Oh great! We have a common book there! Anyway, it's by Chitra Banerjee Divakaruni. Big Smile

Has anybody read anything by paulo coelho? I really enjoyed reading The Zahir.

I've read Mistress of Spices twice, and won't mind reading it again!
      Yes, Chitra beautifully blends together the chills of reality with rich imagination. I enjoyed it.

I've read The Zahir too. It revolves around love, life, happiness, marriage. Very thought provoking.
      It's about a husband searching for his wife, who has disappeared, in the world full of possibilities.
      It leads him to discover nature of love, power of destiny, and what it means to follow his heart.

What do you think of these books, haniirani?

Nosyira
      Participant
      Yemenilicious:

I just finished reading a book called “Tuesdays with Morrie” by Mitch Albom. it was recommended by a friend of mine. It's an easy read but has a great moral to it. I recommend that u read it as well.

Has anybody read Five People You Meet In Heaven or any other books by Mitch Albom? Would you recommend this author?

boo
      Participant
      Nosyira:

I've read The Zahir too. It revolves around love, life, happiness, marriage. Very thought provoking.
      It's about a husband searching for his wife, who has disappeared, in the world full of possibilities.
      It leads him to discover nature of love, power of destiny, and what it means to follow his heart.

Smile You make me want to read the book, Nosyira… do you believe in destiny? I didn't bold destiny because I don't know what to make of it…

And what does The Zahir actually mean? Tongue Tied

Hayliehayati
      Participant
      Nosyira:
      Yemenilicious:

Has anybody read Five People You Meet In Heaven or any other books by Mitch Albom? Would you recommend this author?

I have the book five people you meet in heave, just got a week or so ago, havent read it yet.

But I read tuesdays with morrie- thought it was. . .real, sad kinda, nice.

I would recommend it for a short good read I guess.

Mukesh
      Keymaster

A friend of mine recommends novels written by Minette Walters

think thats the correct spelling….

not sure what her books are about or if she is any good…

however I do have a box load of her novels which I will be reading shortly soo will keep this page updated for sure.

hmmm or am in the middle of another JAMES PATTERSON novel called 1st to die

not a page turner like his other novels ….

Nosyira
      Participant
      boo:
      Nosyira:

Smile You make me want to read the book, Nosyira… do you believe in destiny? I didn't bold destiny because I don't know what to make of it…

And what does The Zahir actually mean? Tongue Tied

boo, and anybody who would be interested in reading the book, here's the meaning stated in it:

Zahir, in arabic, means visible, present, incapable of going unnoticed. It is someone or something which, once we have come into contact with, gradually occupies our every thought, until we can think of nothing else. This can be considered either a state of holiness or of madness.

Smile

Nosyira
      Participant
      Scar face:

Has anybody read anything by paulo coelho? nope, will check it out…..THE ALCHEMIST??? hmmmm sounds interesting

I once read a novel by Amanda Quick, cant remember wat the title is….and it revolved around an alchemist …love…revenge….

interesting …

I recommend The Alchemist. Widely read and much-loved book about following your dreams.
      I admire Paulo Coelho. He's known for captivating and inspiring readers.
      It is about an Andalusian shepherd boy who yearns to travel in search of a worldly treasure as extravagant as any ever found.

Hayliehayati
      Participant
      Nosyira:
      Scar face:

interesting …

I recommend The Alchemist. Widely read and much-loved book about following your dreams.
      I admire Paulo Coelho. He's known for captivating and inspiring readers.
      It is about an Andalusian shepherd boy who yearns to travel in search of a worldly treasure as extravagant as any ever found.

The Alchemist- my friend kept bugging me to read it….never did.

haniirani
      Participant

Great recommendations, everyone! Hope to find more great books here!

Scar face:

Yep, like I suggested, go read the book, much more captivating than the movie….

I've watched Devil Wears Prada! Liked it! If the movie's good, then the book must be better!
      So will definitely be next in my to-read list!

I once read a novel by Amanda Quick, cant remember wat the title is….and it revolved around an alchemist
      …love…revenge….interesting …

I really enjoyed reading The Zahir.

I agree with Nosyira. Paulo Coelho is a very inspiring writer. I'm halfway through reading The Alchemist, and I'm enjoying it. This book is about the essential wisdom of listening to our own hearts, learning to
      read the omens strewn along life's path, and above all, following our
      dreams… Like Haylie, something has been bugging me to read, but I took a long time to pick it up… Haylie, maybe you should check it out!

haniirani
      Participant

Scar face and Nosyira, I enjoyed reading this beautifully written book. In the first half of Mistress of Spices, it was rich and vivid and I like the way she tells the story. Here's an excerpt:

I am a Mistress of Spices.
      I can work the others too. Mineral, metal, earth and sand and
      stone. The gems with their cold clear light. The liquids that burn
      their hues into your eyes till you see nothing else. I learned them
      all on the island.
      But the spices are my love.
      I know their origins, and what their colors signify, and their
      smells. I can call each by the true-name it was given at the first,
      when earth split like skin and offered it up to the sky. Their heat
      runs in my blood. From amchur to zafran, they bow to
      my command. At a whisper they yield up to me their hidden properties,
      their magic powers.
      Yes, they all hold magic, even the everyday American spices you
      toss unthinking into your cooking pot.
      You doubt? Ah. You have forgotten the old secrets your mother's
      mothers knew. Here is one of them again: Vanilla beans soaked soft in
      goat's milk and rubbed on the wristbone can guard against the evil
      eye. And here another: A measure of pepper at the foot of the bed,
      shaped into a crescent, cures you of nightmare.
      But the spices of true power are from my birthland, land of ardent
      poetry, aquamarine feathers. Sunset skies brilliant as blood.
      They are the ones I work with.

I have a question for all you guys: If you were to choose between a life of special powers and ordinary life, which would be your choice?

Mukesh
      Keymaster

If you were to choose between a life of special powers and ordinary life, which would be your choice

wow, thanks Hanirani, I read this book ages ago – above brings back memories of its magic 😉

now to answer yr question:

An ordinary life off coz…

having special powers may take away challenges that keep us from being totally bored..

besides, I think we all have special powers, u just need to look within u to uncover them Wink

boo
      Participant
      Scar face:

besides, I think we all have special powers, u just need to look within u to uncover them Wink

wah scar face wah!

Yemenilicious
      Participant
      ramz:

hey, ive heard of that book more than once. I think im gonna read it Insha'Allah. thanks =]

Nosyira
      Participant
      haniirani:
      I have a question for all you guys: If you were to choose between a life of special powers and ordinary life, which would be your choice?

Hmm… Can I have both? Lol!
      Wouldn't it be fun if to live an ordinary life and using special powers whenever you really need/want it?
      I would love to use the 'calling thought' power as in the book. Whenever I want anybody to be right here by my side right now, I would cast out my net of thought, search for my target, and pull back that person, to be right in front of me?
      Lol! Wishful thinking on my side!
      There are other powers/benefits of the spices mentioned, which I would love to make use of, but I can't seem to recall them now!

haniirani
      Participant
      Scar face:

Wow… Nice thought…
      Nosyira, I'd love to use that calling thought power too!

Just finished reading Tuesdays with Morrie. Thought-provoking, and has its moving moments.
      Would love to read The Monk Who Sold His Ferrari next.
      Does anybody have any ideas on books similar to The Alchemist, Tuesdays with Morrie, and The Monk Who Sold His Ferrari?
      In general, thought-provoking, inspiring fiction? Non-fiction suggestions would be appreciated too. Smile

Mukesh
      Keymaster

Hmmmm, books I have read within the last month..

Lets see, a few by James Patterson..

1st to Die, 2nd chance, 3rd Degree, 4th of July..Am now looking for 5th horsemen/man lol

Really captivating, sad, mysterious, keeps u on the edge of yr seat sorta books, aaaaand for those who like romance novels, theres a bit of that here as well, definitely not his usual style but then he had co-written these novels with a woman hahahahahaha …

Definitely a series for all the women..

Speaking in Tongues by Jeffrey Deaver…..twas an ok novel….not much suspense, very short read..

The sculptress by Minette Walters, not for the faint hearted, the descriptions here left me feeling nauseated but this is a really suspenseful novel, in fact am still trying to figure out exactly what, where, how…lol…READ this one…but like I said, not for the faint hearted, lotza blood ….

Fox evil by Minette Walters, disappointing especially after reading THE SCULPTRESS…

4 romance novels courtesy of Gossamers collection, found all to be annoyingly false

And a waste of time, I mean really, really really…. Soooo sowrie, cant remember the titles

Hmmmm at the moment I am reading the JESTER by James Patterson and Andrew Gross

Its set in the year 1091 and present time, so far its got me wanting to sneak in a chapter every spare minute I have. Its heart wrenching sad, about a love that is sooo strong, it can be felt in the total absence of the other half…Its funny, even though theres a lot of sadness, its got humor ….and am not even half way through with this novel but am looking forward to going into a world prior to our existence….

<font face="Times New Roman" siz

Mukesh
      Keymaster

Okay completed the Jester, absolutely LOVE this novel

and even though I thought it was set in present time, was wrong, definitely set in the year 1091…

Really touching love story, was a bit disappointed about the S climax but am not saying anymore, READ THIS ONE…

Give it a 9.9 / 10

Nosyira
      Participant

Alie, honestly, I've not heard of James Patterson.
      How would you categorize his books? Thrillers?

Mukesh
      Keymaster

hmmmmmm straaaaaange he really is a rather famous author

Nevertheless, Yep hon, more a thriller/suspense novelist

but some of the books I mentioned, like 1st degree etc…these have a bit of romance added

which isnt like the average romance novels, lots of reality attached to the relationships

Noysi , find a book by James P, read it and tell me what u think, I promise u wont regret it

If i could get Gossamer to become a devotee of JP , then am sure u will love his style lol

Nosyira
      Participant

Well actually, I'm not really into thriller, hun.
      But since you recommend it, I'll try him out!
      But maybe a bit later, coz I've 4 books waiting for me!

kavita_0026
      Participant

Hey ooo nosiyra ..nice thread

i think im gonna get some ideas myself n stach em up for summe when i wont have much to do lol

ooooooo whats Jester aliea..? oooo sounds lovely lovely lovely – it's set in 1091? wow..

kavita_0026
      Participant
      Yemenilicious:

let's see. firstly, I have to say, I think i'm going to love this thread.

“The Catcher in the Rye” by J.D. Salinger is also pretty good. Smile

The catcher in the Rye is kind of weird but it sort of have this subtle thing to id

we had to read it in english class a while ago

kavita_0026
      Participant

Oh Rani, Great Expectations by Charles Dickens is really good

but its a classic book / story – if you know what i mean

but its great

Mukesh
      Keymaster
      Nosyira:

Well actually, I'm not really into thriller, hun.
      But since you recommend it, I'll try him out!
      But maybe a bit later, coz I've 4 books waiting for me!

Okay sweetz,

firstly hun, sowrie havent written yet, am just not in the right frame of mind…promise to send ye mail sooon

when u do finish these books and have sumtime,

may I suggest u read the women murder club on es first

ie 1st to die, 2nd chance, 3rd degree , 4th of july

after these u will surely be a fan of his..

then when u have an entire day ..suggest u rea the jester

its a beautiful love *themed* novel

Mukesh
      Keymaster

Kavz,

a jester is a fool, a clown, in those funny suites hahahaha…..

someone who entertained the kings/rulers people and court in those ancient days gone by

in this time, I guess u can think of Cosmic and Nitz, **minus the wanna be bad boy attitude** then u will know what i mean…

kavita_0026
      Participant

lol @ scarry hehehe.. i know they now they're warm in side but they always bustin up with this bad boy attitude lol

oooooooooo alright i know it sounds…………………… but harry potter books are awesoem

Mukesh
      Keymaster

aaargh pleez, no need to feel ………… kavs

to be honest, I bought myself a copy of one of the harry potter books, cant remember the name coz I havent read it yet…hahaha

I loved the movies, and if I was like 15, I wud be drooling over the dude 😉 plus he can fly yeah….lol

Well me dont know if cosmic or nitz are warm inside, but will try to take a peek soon and confirm this okies…lol

boo
      Participant
      Nosyira:
      Alie, honestly, I've not heard of James Patterson.
      How would you categorize his books? Thrillers?

Ahhh… a little bit of nostalgia, people…

Shakera ji loves James Patterson thrillers… I am pretty sure she does… hmmm… unless I'm wrong! Tongue Tied

kavita_0026
      Participant
      Scar face:

aaargh pleez, no need to feel ………… kavs

to be honest, I bought myself a copy of one of the harry potter books, cant remember the name coz I havent read it yet…hahaha

I loved the movies, and if I was like 15, I wud be drooling over the dude 😉 plus he can fly yeah….lol

Well me dont know if cosmic or nitz are warm inside, but will try to take a peek soon and confirm this okies…lol

Hahahhaaa trueeee nah but they are real good books n movies

Yemenilicious
      Participant

JANE EYRE by Charlote Bronte!!!

Fo shizzyy!

kavita_0026
      Participant

nawww harry potter books ARE SO SUSPENSFUL !! they're awesome me love em lots…well n the movies are hot too

but yeah then again if u wanna stick to REALITY..then hp is a bad choice lol

Yemenilicious
      Participant
      kavita_0026:

nawww harry potter books ARE SO SUSPENSFUL !! they're awesome me love em lots…well n the movies are hot too

but yeah then again if u wanna stick to REALITY..then hp is a bad choice lol

lolll good point. where's haylie?! she's in LOVE with this harry potter. I think you two will get along just fine

kavita_0026
      Participant

hey ? Whats up hun ………. ooooooo yeah totally good point hehe…who's haylie? ooooo she's in love with hp huh …well not sure if im 'in love' with him but… i am kinda…all into the movies n stuff hehe coz they're awesome soooooooooooooooooooo awesome! YEAH! GO Harry potter go!!!!

oh come on im sure there has to be hp lovers..or likers for that matter..in this forum! speak up! Wink

Unique_Princess
      Participant

I LOVE HP Big Smile In fact whenever there's a new copy out I HAVE to finish it before my brother.

I actually cried when dumbledore died LOL Stick out tongue that rhymed..Stick out tongue its way too early in the morning for me… I have a presentation today guysss…and its not even worth anything. She's just making us do it. Teachers conspiracy to make us all fail, I tell you….

boo
      Participant

HUn…. good luck!! Big Smile

RaNi iS ThE BeS
      Participant

Tayba ji, me tooooo! Except mine is worth hekka puntos(points).

I have to do it in Spanish! Tongue Tied I can't speak Spanish! And I don't like my teacher! She is so mean to me! Sad The other day I went up to her so that she can look at my paragraphs for the presentation, and she reads it, then kinda flings it at me, looks at me funny, and says, “Can you at least add one more sentence to this?” I was like Surprise “Sheesh, Senora, you don't have to be rude about it!” (that was like the first time I talked back to a teacher, she was just pissing me off) and then she goes and says sorry and makes me feel bad! grrrr. I don't like her. she's a meaniiiii.

I don't wanna present…I was supposed to do it today but we ran out of time so I have to do it tomorrow. Some people did it today…and she was criticizing them hekka much. I don't wanna do it, I'm scared. Sad All those people staring at me…no way. sheesh, I can't just take an F either…I hope at least half the cla.ss is absent tomorrow! hahahaha.

okay, that's enuf of my rubbish, I gotta bounce.

*peace out*

kavita_0026
      Participant

Unique – Hey! Actually i have only read books 1 – 4 for Harry potter … and im gonna read the other book before the movie come out
      soo i mean havent read the book jus as it came out..but… in time i do read em (before the movie is out ) coz you understand the movie soo much better
      oh my god in harry potter and the goblet of fire – i hate that stinkin lil mister peter pettigrew – i cant believe HE KILLED CEDRIC!!!!!!!!!! A STUDENT!!!!!!!!! gosh i just hate his stupid gut and i hope he DIE very nastily … oof! oh mah gosh the movie was sooooo awesome – well of course it was NOTHING like the book coz the book is like totally always better! – but 1 thing – they shudda make lord voldemort … more scary… imean how cud they let him talk like a regular human? i mean his intro was da bomb – but after all that it was like…. come on now!! omg..they all look so grown!!!!!!!!!! lol awwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww sniffs – i heard dumbledore's gonna die but SNIFFS!!!!!!! NO HE'S NOT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! *puts this out of my consciousness!!!* Sniffs!!! *Out out out out!* SNIFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFS SNORT* – im alright ..i m alright !

Rani honey – oh gosh – im so sorry to hear about ur spanish teacher..wow she sounds really mean! oo u actually talked back to her? aww..well… if she's mean then… im sure she was really getting to u n u just reacted ; as for the presentation – just focus and concentrate and practice practice alot before it alright? and have lots of confidence and you should be just fine bc i know you are capabale of the best!

Unique_Princess
      Participant

Thanks Boo!

Rani: aw that sucks hun!! I hate mean teachers, they make me so MAD *flashback of highschool science teacher – we drove her crazy before we left tho =D) Hope it goes well Inshallah! lemme kno how it went!

Mine went okay Alhumdulilah, I kept messing my words up at one point tho and at other times I couldn't get my point across without confusing the whole class. It was about Virginia Woolf's Mrs Dalloway – so if she can confuser her readers, I sure as heck can confuse my class Big Smile!!

Unique_Princess
      Participant

lol Kav, you have to read all the other books quick! It gets better and better. altho the last one was a SHOCKER!. I dont really watch the movies, I saw one and I didnt like it much lol. I always prefer the HP books to the movies. totally spoiled my image of Hermoine! actually this is so weird but Boo, when I think of Hermoine, (not the one they casted in the film) but the one in my imagination, I think of you for some reason! I have NO CLUE why. Its so weird!!!! lol.

last book out soon! I dont want it to end! lol. and dumbledore doess die kav, lol be prepared Stick out tongue

kavita_0026
      Participant

dumbledore dies….REAPEAT?

alright im takin this…n pushin it way down in my subconscious – sniffs*

yeahhhhhhhh OMG the movie is WAYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY lolwer than the books lol but i LOVE the movies esp the goblet of fire its hot but yeah the book is like 1 million times better

lol hermione reminds you of boo? awwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww thats schweet lol

Mukesh
      Keymaster

who is dumble whoeva anyways, cant remember who it is

anyone>>>>??? care to tell me who the heck s dumbdoor??

kavita_0026
      Participant

Surprise he is the headmaster of hogwarts (their school ) !!!!!!!!!!

Nosyira
      Participant
      Scar face:

Okay sweetz,

firstly hun, sowrie havent written yet, am just not in the right frame of mind…promise to send ye mail sooon

No problem, alie. Now I too have to say sorry hun, coz I've not had the time to reply to yours… I promise I'll do it soon, alright?

when u do finish these books and have sumtime,

may I suggest u read the women murder club on es first

ie 1st to die, 2nd chance, 3rd degree , 4th of july

Do I have to read it in sequence? Can I like skip the first book and jump straight to the 2nd? Because I'm having trouble finding 1st to die!

after these u will surely be a fan of his..

then when u have an entire day ..suggest u rea the jester

its a beautiful love *themed* novel

Well, I've tried reading one of his love novel, Sam's Letters to Jennifer. It's a very sweet romance book. And it's really moving in the later part of the story… A very fast read. And that comment is coming from a not-so-fast reader! Big Smile I think I'll have to go with his Suzanne's Diary for Nicholas, and maybe The Jester next! Thanks for recommending him, hun. I absolutely appreciate his short chapters because I usually need to take a break every few pages… That's the problem of having a short attention span when reading! Embarrassed

boo, if I remembered correctly, you were reading The God of Small Things? Khushi loved it, how about you? How did you find it? I've heard a lot about it, and am deciding on whether to read that book.

Mukesh
      Keymaster

No problem, alie. Now I too have to say sorry hun, coz I've not had the time to reply to yours… I promise I'll do it soon, alright?
      Do I have to read it in sequence? Can I like skip the first book and jump straight to the 2nd? Because I'm having trouble finding 1st to die!
      , Sam's Letters to Jennifer. It's a very sweet romance book. And it's really moving in the later part of the story… A very fast read. And that comment is coming from a not-so-fast reader! Big Smile I think I'll have to go with his Suzanne's Diary for Nicholas, and maybe The Jester next! Thanks for recommending him, hun. I absolutely appreciate his short chapters because I usually need to take a break every few pages… That's the problem of having a short attention span when reading! Embarrassed

Heya hun

1stly purleeez, take yr time, okies…hope things are going well with u…

Yeah I suggest u read it in sequence coz its seriously betta that way…wait a bit until u get 1st degree, it wud be worth it, I promise…

wish I cud send my copy to u ….damn, damn , damn….lemme figure out sums on this one ok

I read suzannes diary for N, luvely luvely luvely

in fact my fwend I were talking the other n8 about how beautiful and touching this novel is.. u will love it for sure…and the JESTER

my its an amazing book, well I tend to go into this world when i read sooo its like basically living within that time sooo to me it was lovely..

Yeah gossamer was telling me the exact same thing, that he has over 100 chapters ( have neva noticed this before ) in all his novels

and its great coz she cant read for long periods as well…ME?? lol I cant put the book down, meaning I will walk around reading,

oblivious to whateva is happening …hahahaha

Sams letters to Jennifer?? hmmm how did i miss that…lol

okies u must let me know once u finish those novels okies…

Mukesh
      Keymaster
      kavita_0026:
      Surprise he is the headmaster of hogwarts (their school ) !!!!!!!!!!

k, but am still in a dwalll lol

gossamer has the whole collection of H/P dvds sooo must re-watch em ..sowrie hun

btw, hope yr paper went well????

whens the next one ???

kavita_0026
      Participant

Hello – unique, nosiyra, ali! etc etc Whats up?

Hope ya'll doing good oooo im sooo relieved that these 2 hards tests are over – but got 1 cmoin up soon [hehe] well at least these 2 r over!
      well they were both hard but im sure i did good on 1 of t hem, as for the other one hmmmm iknow it aint no A but im prayin that its not as low as a C

oh hhhh again im asking who's gossamer? tell meeeeeeee your very good friend but

props 2 them for like H/P

coz H/P is totally awesome lol

Nosyira
      Participant

Hello sweetie,

Yeah I suggest u read it in sequence coz its seriously betta that way…wait a bit until u get 1st degree, it wud be worth it, I promise… wish I cud send my copy to u ….damn, damn , damn….lemme figure out sums on this one ok

It's ok, hun. I've finally found it in the library! But it's always on loan so still waiting to get a hold on it.

I read suzannes diary for N, luvely luvely luvely
      in fact my fwend I were talking the other n8 about how beautiful and touching this novel is.. u will love it for sure…

I've read it! It's indeed lovely, and sad. The mother-son relationship is so sweet. I loved the descriptions of the little baby boy. Sooo adorable!

and the JESTER my its an amazing book, well I tend to go into this world when i read sooo its like basically living within that time sooo to me it was lovely..

I sampled 4 chapters of it. Seems interesting… I'll try it out on my next library visit…

Yeah gossamer was telling me the exact same thing, that he has over 100 chapters ( have neva noticed this before ) in all his novels
      and its great coz she cant read for long periods as well… Oh great, it's good to know I'm not alone! Big Smile ME?? lol I cant put the book down, meaning I will walk around reading, oblivious to whateva is happening…hahahaha Careful! A pole ahead! Heehee… I wish I could read like you. Get immersed in another world. I can only read in a quiet environment. So I'll only do my reading early in the morning or really late in the night before sleeping.

Sams letters to Jennifer?? hmmm how did i miss that…lol You should check it out sometime. Smile

Hi Kavita! How have you been lately?

Mukesh
      Keymaster

heya Noysi

long time nah?? hope u keeping well my dear…and all is going super duper great:-) Right Hug

SOWRIE I hvent written to ye …***hugz***

suzannes diary for N, – glad to hear u enjoyed it as well Big Smile

JESTER the first few chapters aint all that good but as u read along, u will find it gets more errrrr involved, lol

Poles lmao.. hmmm now dat I think of itHmm, havent really walked into a pole YET..lolBig Smile

ONE OF EM DAYS…dis sure to happen…hahahaha but thanks for the warning luwie…will try an be careful…Wink

well its just part of me .Love reading…more like …I LOVE W O R D S

Its an art of its own….lol

At the moment, I have no energy to read anything, have started this **how to** Book on starting a business in SA

but have only been through the contents hahahahahaaaaaa and dats it…

Sams letters to Jennifer I will for sure…have been to the library in Durbs but didnt find anything interesting…:-)

Mukesh
      Keymaster

oh hhhh again im asking who's gossamer? tell meeeeeeee your very good friend but

props 2 them for like H/P

coz H/P is totally awesome lol

Oml kavz, u are the cutest by far…will tell Gossamer…

cant remember if I told u who she is ?? did I ?? lemme know …

kavita_0026
      Participant

noo i still dont know who gossamer is

i think someone1 says she is yr co-worker & close friend

well, no matter what she must be cool

HP rules! yay! lol

Mukesh
      Keymaster

k …lol…

I would recommend this book called

I HAVE LIFE..

Will come back with who the author is but lemme tell u a bit about this one

its about a south african chick who was hijacked, raped and literally gutted and left to die

and she survived this …

I remember this story a few years back, horrific …. I remember reading every newspaper article or anything in

every mag about her and her will to survive that night……………so when i saw that her life story or the event surrounding it

has been documented, I purchased a copy of the book..havent started reading it yet…

sooo yeah once I get the name of the author, will letye know, buy a copy.…I havent opened this book yet

but from just knwing what had happened and the impact/effect it had on my fwends,fellow people and myself..

I know everyone can use this as a lil bit of inspiration in our crazeeee lives…

boo
      Participant

Well uh… that is a good question, Nosyira.. lol about ‘The God of Small Things’ by Arundhati Roy… I can’t find where you said that now but yeah…

When Khushi mentioned that book to me, I had only read the first couple of pages of it. Well, actually that may be a bit of an underestimation… in any case, it was very little I had actually read..

And I had to return the book (I’d borrowed it from the library and it was due in)… and I thought, since I’d read so little of it, I’m better off returning it and taking it out again when I have time to read it… give some bugger a chance to read it instead of hogging it…

And I never did get round to re-borrowing the book.. don’t know why… it wasn’t that it was a dull book (I can barely judge it, in all honesty).. I just didn’t.. and I will do so one of these days, because I want to…

But for now, I am reading Bill Bryson’s ‘A Short History of Nearly Everything’… has anyone read that book? It is very interesting… not as humorous as his other books… but still an interesting read… makes me realise how pathetic little we know about our own Earth… Smile

Has anyone read Bryson’s other books? E.g. ‘Neither Here Nor There’ (HILARIOUS!!) or ‘The Lost Continent’?

And – has anyone read Hitler’s autobiography “Mein Kampf”?

Mukesh
      Keymaster

– has anyone read Hitler’s autobiography “Mein Kampf”?

have u read it Boo???

Bill Bryson’s ..

neva heard of this dude but will check his work out…thanks for suggesting..

Nosyira
      Participant

alie, that book I Have Life is by Marianne Thamm. It's a horrifying incident. I'm not sure whether I could read it. But I'm sure it's an inspiring story on her willingness and determination to survive. Anyways, do tell us what you feel after reading it. Smile

boo, no worries. I'm gonna get hold of that book soon. Let's see how it goes. Smile

Have just read Minaret by Leila Aboulela. It's about how a Sudanese lady deals with loss of her family and status, and her disintegrating life and sense of self. Also how she yearns for spiritual pleasure, and how she goes through spiritual awakening while experiencing trials of life. I find solace reading some parts of the story even though making us realize how rapidly the ground beneath one's feet can slip away is disconcerting.

Mukesh
      Keymaster

thanks, I cant seem to remember where I kept this book sooo once I find it, read ..will be sure to give u guys a synopsis

nope havent read or heard of this novel.. Minaret by Leila Aboulela

will try and get a hold of a copy soon

take care yaar chat sooon

mwahzzzzzRight Hug

haniirani
      Participant

Has anybody read Khaled Hosseini's A Thousand Splendid Suns?
      I love The Kite Runner and now I am so looking forward to new novel.

Someone mentioned hilarious earlier.
      When I see that word, I see A Long Way Down by Nick Hornby!
      Really hilarious! It's about four different character who met at the top of the building on New Year's Eve with a shared purpose: To commit suicide!

boo
      Participant

Haniirani – that sounds neat!

I should add that to my list… Smile

Currently reading – Genome, by Matt Ridley.

kavita_0026
      Participant

Hey since summer break is on and all

i thought i'd get some books to read

will look up some of yr good books girls

tell me more if you guys have any

Mukesh
      Keymaster

Jeeez havent read in ages… am busy studying my a$$ offf hahaha well

let us know wat books u recommend no Harry Potters u here

kavita_0026
      Participant

Lol. OOOOOOOOOOOOooooooooooo Yes – how is yr studying???// Tellllllllllll

Well me myself havent read in a long time…summer break is here sooooo I figured hey …. time to read … just dont know which book to get

Lol No Harry Pottering Haha

I didnt even read the 5th book But I soooooo cant wait for the movie yuppers!!!

See Im not THAT much of a FAN where's i've read all and every page in each book

but HP RULES DUDES!!!

Right now Im reading As You Like It – By Shakespeare Smile He's awesome!

Yemenilicious
      Participant

“The Giver” By Lois Lowry is really good =)

Mukesh
      Keymaster

Lol. OOOOOOOOOOOOooooooooooo Yes – how is yr studying???// Tellllllllllll

not going anywhere, wanna assist a bit?? research research research..my brains will explode haha

Well me myself havent read in a long time…summer break is here sooooo I figured hey …. time to read … just dont know which book to get

Lol No Harry Pottering Haha

u wudnt believe this but Madam Gosamz is actually busy reading one of em HP books, sums bout Phoenix ??

Right now Im reading As You Like It – By Shakespeare Smile He's awesome!

dat explains the ART THOUS ??? hahaha

Have started reading *THE TAKING* by Dean Koontz

Was ordered to read something soo seeing as the book was in sight decided to give it a try..

Okies my mind isn’t very co-operative at the moment so actually concentrating on the story is a task on its own seeing as Mr K uses phrases and words that requires intelligence haha

K this book is not for the faint hearted, gruesome …sorta evil related…

Am not even sure why I am reading this, but am bored as hell and the suspense draws me

dnt read it…am only doing sooo for the sake of..as a personal challenge to myself

kavita_0026
      Participant

Aww mannnnnnnn no brain exploding.. pleaseeeeee is soo know how that feeling feelssss … studying could crack you

and you study AND work ….sighhhhhh —- just remember to RELAX and go out for walks and SLEEP and eat alright ….

hahaha how art thou ? Big Smile that prob does explain that

gossamer is reading harry potter and the order of the phoneix!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! its the new HP movie coming out soon ..i didnt even read it lol but i want to before the movie comes out at least will get it from the library asap !

Koontz author sounds interestinggg will try soem of these books soon

Mukesh
      Keymaster

lol…

Koontz is a craze ass writer

and has an imagination that dwells on the dark side….freaky but mesmerising

haha

have warned u…sooo u wanna try his work, go ahead but with caution nah…

he scares the living hell outa ye…

kavita_0026
      Participant

When you say scared…what exactly doyou mean? You mean like..BLOOD scared…MURDER SCARED…

or like..ghost scared? Because then I'd stay FAR away !

Im scared to be in my basement alone for heaven's sake!

Well im done reading As It Is by Mr.Shakespeare… and I just got A MIdsummer Night's Dream -Shakespeare

Had started this some time back but somehow never got passed the 1st quarter..but it was really good..so will catch up on that

Its kinda hard to understand with all the shakespearian thing going on but… his stories/PLOTS are like..the Best i dont know how he does it

Mukesh
      Keymaster

Completed it last night, was about Lucifer taking away souls bla bla bla A book based on faith and hope, evil and more evil. Its Gruesome, lotza blood, descriptive killings that will leave one sleepless for ages but Heck above all of that, it was written for intelligent reading However I wont suggest this book. Not for the faint hearted ..

Now am back to my studying…

good luck with Shakespeare…

kavita_0026
      Participant

Oh geez, I wont read that ……….

Unique_Princess
      Participant

Guys, I've already mentioned Nicholas Sparks' novel A Walk To Remember to you on another thread, it is really a wonderful novel and its so nice seeing the differences between the book and the movie. Sparks is an extremely talented writer and his books take you to a beautiful place. I have just finished one of his earlier novels The Notebook, which is what the movie is based on. The book is much better than the movie, it is extremely romantic, and will also make you cry.. as will A Walk To Remember. The Notebook is such a touching story, its unbelievably inspiring and romantic. Sparks manages to evoke in his reader both happiness, sadness and a burst of many other emotions, all at the same time… a talent which many authors lack. I'm going to go and buy another of his books this week. It's called The Wedding and it is a sequel to The Notebook. I can't explain how talented this man is! If you see A Walk To Remember or The Notebook in the bookshop or library, make sure you give it a read! You will not be disappointed, I assure you! Smile

Yemenilicious
      Participant

no vonder “A Walk to Remember” is like your favorite movie ever.

I miss you, bum!

Mukesh
      Keymaster

Have just completed this book, called *Slave master** by some author

Sorry, am not good with names..

It’s a true life crime novel..of a serial killer in USA..

this dude had met, befriended and wormed his way into the lives of women on the net and eventually killed them

Now I was wondering WHY I ve been having awful nightmares, waking up in a scare..

And have just realized it was the effect this story had on me..

All I can say is that we truly need to be careful with whom we let into our lives especially through the net..

We need to ensure we protect ourselves from fraudsters and there are many out there

Ps: that explains my over protectiveness for and towards u guys of late..

kavita_0026
      Participant

Wow you read alot of books, fast. (y)

Oh yeah… internet can be really dangerous

Thats weird for me to say though because I totally trust you guys haha..but still

got to be careful ESP. on those crazed chat rooms and all

Yemenilicious
      Participant

you go in crazed out chat rooms?

uuuh. DARN THIS STONE AGE TECHNOLOGY :@ doesn't work when you really really need it

Mukesh
      Keymaster

Just completed this novel called: pieces of a dream or something to that effect..

It is by far the most beautiful story of faith and love, and striving to live when life has nothing to offer u..or when u feel life has dealt u a blow to the head and u cant or don’t want to fight back…

I cried and cried and continued crying at intervals…it simply touched me deeply..

I started this novel 2 months ago but couldn’t read on due to the descriptions of an accident scene and the feelings the young woman (heroine of the novel) goes through, it brought back memories of my accident and feelings I thought I dealt with..sooo reading this novel helped me deal with and heal in a holistic way.

when I started reading this novel I never knew a dude called Senor Jalapeno, and since he has arrived on the scene, I swear to you, this Maddox fella sooooo reminds me of Senor..his mannerisms, his educated sense of humor ..etc etc…

I plan on keeping this novel close to me as a future guidance, loved it loved it loved it

Will rate it 110/100%

Errr will be back with the correct title and author

A must read for those who have felt life has cheated them , for love that had been lost and one who has given up on love, for the young and old…it’s a touching story of 2 different people who had led different lives, went through different tragedies, yet brought together ( and I loved the way they had met ) by FATE…in my opinion hahaha

It’s hilarious

Its deeply touching

Mukesh
      Keymaster

Another novel I read this weekend Blinded by Stephen WhiteWas basically about a woman who is freaking nutz, kills a whole bunch of other womenWho were having affairs with her husband, affairs that were orchestrated by her in the first place, if I wasn’t bedridden and tooo damn weak to get another book, I would never have finished it…waste of my precious hours… Read when or if u have nothing else to do …same old boring story just written differently, by another author… Have started : The lake house by James patterson.. Looking forward to this book….

kavita_0026
      Participant

Oh, did you watch The LakeHouse [ the movie] ?

Ha.. Blinded by Stephen White = she kills a whole bunch of other women who her husband was cheating with? !!! Shoooot… any girl would probably go crazy nuts bazurka if they find that out..bc that is plain wrong darn it why do men think they can do whatever they can and if the woman do it she is a curse from hell and she is a sinner ; since women are all up in their emotions why did men have this mentality…? … more easier to put women to PAIN.

Anyway…… about the other book..that is truely dear to yr heart..and there's a character that reminds you of Senor J ..hehe..wowow sounds gooooooood.. am glad you found a book close to yr heart to take you through it

~hugs~

Mukesh
      Keymaster

Yup watched it, Sandra Bullock and Keaanuuuuu, he is sooo hottttttThe book however isn’t a romance novel hahahaNone of Jame paaterson novels are romances .. Nope not every woman is willing to scar her soul for the sake of a manDisagree with that.. Like seriously, this dude reminded me of Senor and I couldn’t help but smileThroughout the 2nd half…eeeeuuuuuuuuyuk. But this book, jeez I am going to copy it and forward it to u – if u want to read it..in fact u guys will understand me better once u read it, ie the whole issue about my scar…and the effect it had on me..

wat have read lately hun??? besides shakes the spear ??

kavita_0026
      Participant

Wow, has this book really gotten to the deepest part of you?

Haha..honestly what I read lately besides shakespeare ? Um.. that would have to be my psychology book from college… havent read other novels recently [other than shakespear hehe] and thought i'd read some pych since i have a continuation course next semester

I always go to the library but i never know which book to chose

Oh do you know abook by the name of..I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings By Maya Angelou

Just wondering if you or anyone read it?

Mukesh
      Keymaster

Yemenilicious
      Participant

blank post…scarry?

Mukesh
      Keymaster

am lost

SenorJalapeno
      Participant

I just started reading O. Henry's short stories again. I've always been partial to stories and poetry over any other genre of literature, especially, the short stories of Fitzgerald, O. Henry, H. G. Wells, Maupassant, Faulkner and Flaubert. If one seeks to read his short stories, it is appropriate to start with 'The Last Leaf,' 'The Gift of The Magi,' 'The Ransom of The Red Chief,' and 'The Green Door.'

I have also begun reading Irene Nemirovsky's 'Suite Francaise.' It is one of those rare works that one feels privileged to hold in his hands. I feel blessed. Word of caution for those cannot stomach any more pain: Steer Clear!

kavita_0026
      Participant

Oh, I had to read some of these short stories for school… The Gift of The Magi… is this when the guy gave up his watch to get money to buy a comb for her hair ; and she had cut her hair and sold it so that she could get him a watch

I dont know why but this thing always stuckc in my head; it is honestly the sweetest story i have ever read

i hope it was the right one though .. correct me if im wrong tell me the right name

SenorJalapeno
      Participant

Kavita ji, you are absolutely right! It is indeed the story about the guy (James Dillingham Young) and the girl (Della) who gave away what was most precious to them to make the one they loved happy for Christmas! Alas! I only wish there were more of the two in the world, though, I see a few not far in attitude and attribute in this forum. Please read 'The Last Leaf.' If you like stories such as these, I would be happy to point you toward other fine examples of the Short Story genre.

kavita_0026
      Participant

Oh my god, I just fell in LOVE… with that story when I read it… It was soo wonderful it really touched me it did

I will read The Last Leaf

I 'll go to the library soon and get his short story book

Thnx for recommending !

Yemenilicious
      Participant
      Quote:

am lost

i was just saying…that the post above mine was empty…same thing that's happening to boo's posts?

Nosyira
      Participant

I have to mention The Thirteenth Tale by Diane Setterfield.

Captivating! This story stays with me a long time after I finish the last sentence…
      It's involving family secrets and half-truths of the life of a famous author VIda Winter.
      I like it when an author provides the premise to reread his/her novel. And Diane Setterfield surely did that!
      I'll be more than glad to experience this book again. Smile

I'd love to read the short stories mentioned earlier. Will try to search for it.

kavita_0026
      Participant

Nosi Hiiiiiiiii ! How are you ?! Missed you.

Glad that you have found a book that is satisfying for your soul.

Mukesh
      Keymaster

firstly, have decided to sell my collection of novels, books…for sum reason, spending the past few days snuggled in bed with nothing but my thoughts to accompany me, have realised that theres sooo many things I set out to accomplish yet havent even started..now how my sellling my books would assist me in getting started..am not sure yet, its just that I seem to have accumulated a collection of random novels, that I havent read…just lying there for my retirement years…it reminded me of those lists I have somewhere in my diary, off things I need to get done by such and such date..time..year…

back to my 2nd love: books..reading..sharing…

Jalapeno, yr choices sounds interesting, would appreciate more reccomendations from yourself….

Kavi, I wish I were in Durban, I use to practically live in the Library, soo much soo that before I left, the ladies from the coffee shop had a little farewell for me..one of my favorite **thinking, reading, contemplating, savouring life** places that relaxed me..with a divine cuppa coffee off coz…when u do visit, will be sure to take u to this magical place of mine..where many dreams unfolded through the written word…I thought u were planning on catching up with sum reading during this break ??

Noysi Jaaan, was thinking of the Jester just yesterday and wondered if u had completed this novel?? wanna discuss this one with u…I sooo loved this book…

have noticed that trying to allocate your recommended books is a task on its own yaar…but will keep my eye open for this one..sounds like a good read..indeed…

Mukesh
      Keymaster

Wow, has this book really gotten to the deepest part of you? Haha..honestly what I read lately besides shakespeare ? Um.. that would have to be my psychology book from college… havent read other novels recently [other than shakespear hehe] and thought i'd read some pych since i have a continuation course next semester I always go to the library but i never know which book to chose Oh do you know abook by the name of..I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings By Maya Angelou Just wondering if you or anyone read it?

oh my, was reading a lil sumthing she had written but havent read anything by her yet…

yumz, got it..wasnt posting blanks, must be an error on the forum..had actually responded to this post by Kavz

now Kavz, yup this lil novel did reach the deepest parts of me 🙂

its reminds me of what I had been through many years ago, I can understand NOW, why I felt the way I did, and still do, why I am the way I am..

like I said, will copy this one and forward it to u soon..

shakespeare?? Jeez..at least its better than reading psychology nah …

choices choices choices….Wink lemme know wat u have read okies..

Mukesh
      Keymaster

FAITH: BY PETER JAMES

Revolves around a plastic surgeon who is obsessed with his wife Faith, gives her all kinds of pills to ensure she remains in a depressive state, tries to control her life, her every move to the extent of checking the mileage on her car..

Faith, the wife, tries her best to fight back for her life, falls in love again and finally manages to escape the clutches of her homicidal husband whose hobby boarded on killing patients he felt deserved the darkness called Death

It’s a chilling novel, very realistic in many aspects pertaining to the risks of surgery, plastic surgery, of trusting another human.

Are we really safe from the one we claim to love and whom we feel loves us??

What is love and why does it affect another to a point of total madness, extreme obsession??

It is a worthy novel, that provides insight into life, love, fear of the unknown, liberation/freedom, responsibility, the effects ones parent has on a child..soo many lessons to be learnt from this novel. I did enjoy reading it…and would definitely recommend it. 7** / 10

Something that stuck out for me :

One of Faiths first encounters with Oliver..the man who believed in her and saved her life..

~~ u know wat fascinates me, it’s the dash, that little mark between the dates. I luk down at a grave and think, that dash represents a human beings entire life…U and I are living out our dashes right now..its not important when someone dies or is born, what matters is what they did in-between with their lives~~

Yemenilicious
      Participant

thanks for the recommendation scarry, i need to pick up a good book and read!!!

SenorJalapeno
      Participant

Ninja, when you have the time, I would like you to read Khaled Hosseini's 'Kite Runner,' if you haven't already. I cannot even begin to start how amazing the book is. I have recommended the book to at least a dozen people and each have come back to me with nothing but praise for Hosseini.

Yemenilicious
      Participant

I've read it senor. Smile I LOVE THAT BOOK!

SenorJalapeno
      Participant

How about Naguib Mahfouz's 'Chatting On The Nile?' Or Rory Stewart's 'Places In Between,' and 'Prince Of The Marshes?' All wonderful books. Oh, did I mention you have fine taste in reading? I am not surprised you read Hosseini.

Yemenilicious
      Participant

Naguib Mahfouz- yes!

& thank you Smile you do too.

kavita_0026
      Participant

What is Kite Runner about Senor J?

kavita_0026
      Participant

I found this book in my home. It is Granny Dan by Danielle Steele > I started reading it and absolutely love it > Now I got 2 more chapters to finish the book.

MaMa PeGaSuS
      Participant

give a synopsis of this novel please

I am currently reading my Oprah mag:)

and it holds extremely valuable information pertaining to spirituality and life and

women, seeing as this is Women's month..

I was captivated by an article about women, who turn to God..who gives up their everyday

*comforts* to devote their lives to God, that touched me deeply and brought back a few promises I erhmmmm forgot I had made, well more like tried my hand at ignorance…

theres a monestry somewhere in the middle of Usa/Uk?? Am not certain on the country, however, it is in this place that women, women who are at the peak of their careers, have every materialistic wish granted etc etc …… who sense the *calling* goes to and remain, spending their days in total amazing devotion to their God..it leaves me feeling ashamed that I have lost much strength, strength that was painfully gained through the years, so much so that after reading about this .. I Pause……… and stare/think……….. and contemplate………….. if such an act had been written for me as well…

And people think magazines dont offer much …

It has reshaped the wat I think these days, back to square one basically:)

MaMa PeGaSuS
      Participant

Have started * HONEYMOON* by James Patterson & Howard Roughan

This morning and I didn’t want to stop reading it..

Hmmm JP is by far one of my fav authors…

Noysi, this one reminds me of u …

MaMa PeGaSuS
      Participant

Honeymoon, was an eerie read, ended quiet abruptly but was certainly one of JP’s

Best work. I love Craig ..and it was a first for me when the ending ended with a twist that never crossed my thoughts.

Am finally reading THE 5TH HORSEMAN, finally.

I missed Lindsay, the kick-a$$ heroin

MaMa PeGaSuS
      Participant

Honeymoon, was an eerie read, ended quiet abruptly but was certainly one of JP’s

Best work. I love Craig ..and it was a first for me when the ending ended with a twist that never crossed my thoughts.

Am finally reading THE 5TH HORSEMAN, finally.

I missed Lindsay, the kick-a$$ heroine

kavita_0026
      Participant

Honeymoon … what is this one about? Brief summary? Wow you fnished reading that in 2 days? gawwd you fast lol

gotta go… this thread reminded me that i have to go get another danielle steele book to read…gotta run… take care diiii

MaMa PeGaSuS
      Participant

Done with 5th Horseman, hmmm an attempt to confuse the reader, this novel revolved around 3 different plots, seemingly rolled into one.

Sad to an extent, am hoping **The 6th Target * is a better read!!

Honeymoon was about this chick who killed men for the heck of it, well she had a somewhat disturbed childhood, and the thrill she got for thinking she carried out the prefect murders.

Not much time to elaborate, however must add that it is by far one of JP’s best novels.

Oh, did think that it ended very abruptly though.

Tonza hugz Kavs, what did u read??????????????????????????

Do tell already..

Have just started **Life lessons** By Elisabeth Kubler-Ross & David Kessler

RaNi iS ThE BeS
      Participant
      Quote:

What is Kite Runner about Senor J?

It's about a guy in Afghanistaaaaaaaan! My land!!! lol It's about him and a servant and about the Taliban. There's also a movie based on the book.

lol. That doesn't help much, does it? lol. Just read it!!! lol

RaNi iS ThE BeS
      Participant
      Quote:
      Oh, I had to read some of these short stories for school… The Gift of The Magi… is this when the guy gave up his watch to get money to buy a comb for her hair ; and she had cut her hair and sold it so that she could get him a watch

Ooh ooh! The Magiiii! I LOVE LOVE that storyyyyy! It was soooooooooo sweet!

Have you guys read that one story…I think it was called the Necklace? I forgot what it was called. But it's about a lady who is invited to a biiig party and she tells her husband she has nothing to wear to the party and so he gives her money…and she borrows a diamond necklace from her friend….and she loses it! Have you guys read it? IT's sooooooooooo nice! I loved it!

And Have you guys read I never promised you a rose garden? It's an AMAZING book! I swear, I didn't wanna put it down once I opened it! IT's like an auto-biography…It's BEAUTIFUL! If you haven't read it, you should!

kavita_0026
      Participant

Alisha – geeeeeeeeeesh… a woman who kills men for the heck of it ? lol… that sounds disturbing man
      As for what Im reading now – my huge biology book ackk so much stuff to study.. neways gotta return a book tomorrow to the library soo will hunt for a good book to keep my company and give me some smiles and imagination when im totally going nuts from studying lol

Rani – ahh i've heard some good comments about Kite Runner.

Oh yeahhhhhhhhhhh i love the magii story!!!!! it was soooooo sweeeeeeeeettt aww man! I didnt read the other books you mentioned..i ought to read 'em though.

MaMa PeGaSuS
      Participant
      Quote:

Alisha – geeeeeeeeeesh… a woman who kills men for the heck of it ? lol… that sounds disturbing man

it actually is…SAD..

As for what Im reading now – my huge biology book ackk so much stuff to study.. neways gotta return a book tomorrow to the library soo will hunt for a good book to keep my company and give me some smiles and imagination when im totally going nuts from studying lol

ALREADY HUH?? take it easy

hun

Rani – ahh i've heard some good comments about Kite Runner.

Oh yeahhhhhhhhhhh i love the magii story!!!!! it was soooooo sweeeeeeeeettt aww man! I didnt read the other books you mentioned..i ought to read 'em though.

Nosyira
      Participant

Gift of the Magi – Heard Raincoat was based on this story? Found the story online. I've yet to read it but thought I'll post the link http://www.auburn.edu/~vestmon/Gift_of_the_Magi.html

Kite Runner – This book is packed with emotions. Love it.

Places In Between – Only had the opportunity to read the first few pages… But would still be interested to read it.

Alie – really, if only i could read half as fast as you….. so many books, so little time!

JP – I can't find 2nd chance! And that's only the second book!

Currently reading – The world according to garp by John Irving. Nice!

SenorJalapeno
      Participant

The World according to Garp is an amazing book…a cult-classic similar to Heller's Catch-22. I just started reading Patrick Lencioni's 'Three Signs of a Miserable Job.' If you are starting out in your career path, its a great book to read. His other books are: 'Death by Meeting,' 'The Five Dysfunctions of a Team,' 'The Five Temptations of a CEO,' 'The Four Obsessions of An Extraordinary Executive,' and 'Silos, Politics and Turf Wars.' You could pick up any one of them and be satisfied if you are in management or leadership career path.

Just finished Shashi Tharoor's India: From Midnight to Millennium and Beyond. Very interesting. If you like a different perspective on India from its pre-colonial past to its post-colonial confusion, this is a great book to read. Yesterday, I was looking for something and saw a copy of Barbara and Allan Pease's wonderful book: 'Why Men Don't Listen and Women Can't Read Maps.' No need to elaborate. Lmao. Read it and laugh or weep.

kavita_0026
      Participant

Nosyi!!!!!!!! Where have you been?!! I've missed you! … hope you're alright??

Yeah i know right! ali reads books really fast lol

I got The Ghost by Danielle Steele ..started reading it

MaMa PeGaSuS
      Participant

noysi jaan:

sigh, damn!! will try and send u a copy if I can ok…was reading my fwends copy back then:(

me dont read fast …Stick out tongue

Quote:

Nosyi!!!!!!!! Where have you been?!! I've missed you! …

hmm I miss u too noysi:) will write soon ..

hope you're alright??

Yeah i know right! ali reads books really fast lol

naaaaaahhhh I dnt….wish I cud..Stick out tongue

like noysi said, sooo many books, so darn lil time

I got The Ghost by Danielle Steele ..started reading it

is this like a romantic novel kavs??

my news, we have finally started the book club.

and yeah I suggested we be original and call our club

**the book club*** roflmao…am too lazy to be creative

hahaha

1st to be dicussed once everyone gets a chance to read it..

honeymoon….

MaMa PeGaSuS
      Participant

noysi..did u complete *the jester**??

tell me what u thought of it okayyyyyyy

ps: thanks for the assistance wrt the lyrics req..

muuuwaaaaahhhh

~me~

MaMa PeGaSuS
      Participant

Life lessons…pls read this one if u can get a copy

Next; Lifeguard by JP

Amazingly romantic, really sad, loved the storyline loved the characters, Ned Kelly and Ellie.

A lot of twists in this tale but what gripped me was the love effect, maybe that’s coz my thoughts are just entwined around love these past few days..

Good read of coz..

At the end of the day everyone has the power to change their life, one can make a difference and live a more rewarding, fulfilled, honest life.

SenorJalapeno
      Participant

I was chatting with a friend and suddenly E. M. Forster's forgotten classic, ' A Room With A View,' popped up in our conversation. If you haven't read it yet, please do. A classic written at the turn of the past century (1908), it explores issues that are yet relevant today.

kavita_0026
      Participant

Man, I feel like a butthead burnt potato

The Ghost that Im reading… weird how I NEVER expected the book to have ..um .. a GHOST inside of it. Thats not fair man! I aint going round reading no books with no ghosts dude. The darn back of the book said there was a dude who rented an ancient house and he FOUND THE DIARY OF A WOMAN WHO LIVED THERE 2 CENTRURIES BEFORE… n he reads it and understands her whole life story…sounded mad interesting to me.

Gosh man, never thought she'd appear to him. Right now Im at the part where he buys the place from an OLD woman who use to live there a while back.. and the ghost woman or who ever appeared to him and then disappeared ..lol.. weirrrrrd man

That kind of totally killed it for me. First Im scared of these things…and 2nd ..come on man… !!! lol Anyway…strangely .. i have a bit more interest ..so will read on..not sure if she was really there or if the dude is going bazurka..since he just got a divorce..and left his country and job.

MaMa PeGaSuS
      Participant

must be the meds am on hun but u sooooooooo

lost me here

sorry

have started **like the flowing river** by Paulo Coelho..

READ THE FIRST PAGE an am astounded by his methods …

am sure this is going to be a good read…

kavita_0026
      Participant

Wow sounds like a good book.

Naw..its just me..not explaining stuff properly..

I was saying : The book I got ..it goes by the name of The Ghost. The review of it said that a man who is recently divorced and left his job moved to America (from london) and rented this ancient house/comfort inn to stay in for a while. He then supposed to find the diary of a woman who had lived in the same ancient home 2 centuries before and read her stories during his heartache..of overcoming divorce and leave of job. The back of the book says this.

Now Im reading and..the dude comes home and evening and saw a WOMAN ..extremely beautiful standing infront of him..then she walked away..he checked for her everywhere..and he could find no traces.

Im saying.. i feel like potato..coz i totally didnt expect this book … The Ghost..to have a Ghost in it lolz

Then again..maybe he cud just be going bazurka from worrying about his divorce and all.

MaMa PeGaSuS
      Participant

lol @ kavi..baaazuka huh

oye hun…sounds interesting

i LOVE

Paulo Coelho..damn he is a fine writer, love his expression and thoughts an an an

anywys, have been gifted with **the 6th ttarget – Jp** so when am feeling betta

will be reading that one..and am luking for senor's suggestion…eish..deeeficult

MaMa PeGaSuS
      Participant

a thousand splendid suns by Khaled Hosseini

wat I am reading at the mo'

simply heart wrenchingly sad…sigh!!!

SenorJalapeno
      Participant

Alie, after you are done with that, look for 'The World Without Us,' by Alan Weisman. I've laughed, I've sighed and wished several times I've died. He makes you think to the brink of all the 'thoughts' that you could possbibly 'think.'

kavita_0026
      Participant

I went to the Movie theater last friday b/c I had to use the bathroommm soooo

I saw that they ar making a movie out of Kite Runner .. must have been a realy interesting book!

MaMa PeGaSuS
      Participant
      A thousand Splendid Suns: Khaled Hosseni

A story that will remain etched in my heart and soul for as long as I shall live, this one simply soaked its way into my skin, joined forces with my blood and began its course through my body, finding its way into my heart, and polluting my soul with its force.

I don’t know where to begin, or even how to begin describing the feelings felt whilst reading this aching tale that so many of my nameless, faceless sisters out there in the world are going through. This is simply 2 accounts of life a woman faces.

I can relate to Mariam, because her fate or beginning resembles mine.

I love Laila, she reminds me of my mom, coz my mum’s maiden name is Laila.

Hakim, reminds me of Senor (Kidding) my nephew, cause I named him HakeemJ

Tariq, is a beautiful name and one I wish to call one of my many sonsJ

Rasheed, reminded me of this Pakistani guy who had wanted to marry me a few years back. He had greyed, mesmerizing eyes but the personality of a goat.

Jalil, is the name of Nazu (my closest friend) soon to be husband

Giti is such a beautiful name and her fate had broken my heart.

And these are simply the names of the characters in this novel, so you can imagine how entranced I have been these past few days, wanting to spend every spare moment catching up, looking through my minds eye, at the lives of these people, people whom are no less human than u and I.

The love between Tariq and Laila, was so pure and true that I didn’t think the copulation prior to being married was a sin, in fact I would have been disappointed had they not shown each other the depths of their love for one another.

I cried, with these women, shared in their pain, and laughter, love, loss and gain.

<font face="Times

kavita_0026
      Participant

Oh wow di, this book sounds like it really got to you! I can now see how you related to it soo much. What is the general theme of this book?

MaMa PeGaSuS
      Participant

it did..read it..will only spoilt the plot

however will say it revolves around the war in afghanistan and the lives of 2 women..

next: started

The Zahir by Paulo Coelho

so far, its captivating, interesting!!

Yemenilicious
      Participant

“The 100: A Ranking of the Most Influential Persons in History” by Michael Hart

I love this book!!!!

MaMa PeGaSuS
      Participant

the 6th target – JP

vchenoah
      Participant

The Kitchen God's Wife – Amy Tan (just finished)

Love in the Time of Cholera – Gabriel Garcia Marquez (read 7 years ago)

MaMa PeGaSuS
      Participant

Senor finallly got a copy of the kite runner

Also FINALLY got a copy of the alchemist

must remember to tell Ramzeeee

cant wait to read these

Nosyira
      Participant

Hi love, I'm sure you'll like them both. Smile

MaMa PeGaSuS
      Participant
      Quote:

Hi love, I'm sure you'll like them both. Smile

have started the kite runner this morning and am liking it..have a feeling I will finish the novel by end of today soo

am trying reallly trying to read slllloooowwwwww hahahaha

I miss u angel

and ur in my duas

I need to speak to u

**hug**

MaMa PeGaSuS
      Participant

MaMa PeGaSuS
      Participant

gave me a migraine reading it

like seriously..I cried and cired and cried and had to change the my pllowcase cover coz it was soaked in tears

I actually feel a headache coming on now just trying to talk about this book

wat I would like to say though is that I knew Hassan was fathered by Baba

when I was 1/4 way thru the novel

its sad sad sad ..the truth but sad

I have to visit AFGHANI /KABUL/PAKISTAN

now….

I

MaMa PeGaSuS
      Participant

gave me a migraine reading it

like seriously..I cried and cired and cried and had to change the my pllowcase cover coz it was soaked in tears

I actually feel a headache coming on now just trying to talk about this book

wat I would like to say though is that I knew Hassan was fathered by Baba

when I was 1/4 way thru the novel

its sad sad sad ..the truth but sad

I have to visit AFGHANI /KABUL/PAKISTAN

now….

I

JUST

MaMa PeGaSuS
      Participant

so far

interesting

MaMa PeGaSuS
      Participant

PLS read this

highly reccomended by meee

its is one of those infinite mind altering **short stories**

I loved it..and will re-read soon

I love Paulo, he is fast becoming one of my favorite Authors…..

MaMa PeGaSuS
      Participant

~Memoirs of a geisha~

touching story so far..its captivating

like sneaking in camo like a lil ant, watching the life of Chiyo unfold

sad….

Nosyira
      Participant

I knew you'd love it, honey. I've read it twice. Glad you discovered Coelho. Smile

vchenoah
      Participant

“Saving Fish from Drowning”, by Amy Tan and “Bad Love”, by Jonathan Kellerman.

MaMa PeGaSuS
      Participant
      Quote:
      I knew you'd love it, honey. I've read it twice. Glad you discovered Coelho. Smile

lol am glad I did too:) he has changed my thinking..I thought ..I always believed I am an open minded person but after reading

Coelho, gosh!! Its like I have found my partner in thought:) am only discovering what beign open minded is all about now:)

have read:

1.Memoirs of a geish…hated the climax of this novel

2. Mary Mary by JP

Sorta predictable

3. Am busy reading

**ask and it is given** by Esther and Jerry Hicks

astoundingly beneficial to those seeking inner peace and wanting to find themselves

its the teaching of Abraham:)

am enjoying this one

MaMa PeGaSuS
      Participant

by Jp.

sorta liked it…end was a shocker ….

serioComic
      Participant
      Quote:

“Bad Love”, by Jonathan Kellerman.

Shot through the heart
      And youre to blame
      You give love a bad name
      I play my part and you play your game
      You give love a bad name

vchenoah
      Participant

How is it that you run the asylum??? U're a fruitcake! lmao

vchenoah
      Participant

I Hate You, Don't Leave Me: Understanding the Borderline Personality (Mass Market Paperback)
      by Jerold J. Kreisman & Hal Straus

Unique_Princess
      Participant

Boy oh boy do I want to read this book!!

vchenoah
      Participant

It's a page turner…for reals!

boo
      Participant

SPOILERS AHEAD – LOVE IN THE TIME OF CHOLERA

Quote:

Love in the Time of Cholera – Gabriel Garcia Marquez (read 7 years ago)

Big Smile What did you think of it?

You can tell Marquez is a total romantic, I enjoyed his writing for the most part – I enjoyed the way the book dragged on, almost like a 'metaphor' in itself of how many years have gone by in Florentino Ariza's life… am I making any sense? I LOVED taking my time with this book – reading it slowly, pausing for long periods of time in between, absorbing it… I think that's how the author would have liked his book to be read. But sometimes the dragging on part just got annoying.

And I was not fully convinced about Florentino and Fermina's love. I was guess I was following Fermina's line of thought throughout the book – touched by his passion at first, then put off him and his love completely… and it was only in the very end, when she herself gave in to her feelings for him, that I JUST about was convinced by their love… borderline. But funnily enough, I do not see what Florentino Ariza saw in Fermina. I really don't. I feel he would have been much better suited to that African woman with her feisty personality (even though she was much older), or even that – how old was she? – 14? year old kid, even though she was much younger…………….. if the author had written about it in such a way that Florentino DID give his heart to them, that is. (I REALLY hope I am still making sense… lol. Big Smile)

I don't know – I enjoyed the book, Marquez does write really well – although to be fair, I was too lost in the story to think about his wonderful writing, in some parts (but maybe that in itself is a good indication he writes well? Stick out tongue lol)… but I was not convinced by Florentino's love for Fermina. It felt like he was simply using her as this… this 'ideal', to set free all the love that is trapped within him… as opposed to actually loving HER for who SHE is… Tongue Tied

kavita_0026
      Participant

Anyone read 'The Reader' ? Im not sure who its by but Kate Winslet just made a movie based on the book. I heard its really good.

Im about to bug someone to take me to the mall where the bookstore is. I need a book to read, I need some characters to keep me company for this summer! Lol. I was telling my sister that and she stared at me and called me weird haha.

But no, I do need some characters to keep me company! Im basically relaxing and um, yeah I that'll do me well. Im not much of a big novel reader, but the few books I read … geesh, they were such great experiences … sooo,

anyone read 'The Reader?' Smile

I was t hinking of getting 'Twilight'. My brother said once you start reading it, you get extremely hooked on it. Aint that supposed to be a good thing? Smile … the way he said it … he was like, I know some people … they couldnt/didnt study well for their finals cos they were all into reading Twilight. Im there thinking … then it must be darn good! Smile Lol. I'll get 'Twilight' later on though.

kavita_0026
      Participant

Love in The Time of Cholera. I think I heard of this.

Isnt this a Shakespeare type book … ? If Im right ..? I mean, the setting time … ?

kavita_0026
      Participant
      Quote:

I Hate You, Don't Leave Me: Understanding the Borderline Personality (Mass Market Paperback)
      by Jerold J. Kreisman & Hal Straus

Hm, I think I should get thisTongue Tied

boo
      Participant
      Quote:

Yemenilicious:

I love books! theyre my best friends Smile.

baaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahahhahahahahahhahhahahahahhahahaha !! oh man…i…cant…even…top….that….!! ROFL

Oh boy.. SO sorry for taking you all on a trip down Memory Lane but…. LMAO!!!! LMAO!!!! Big Smile

I ACTUALLY see the funny side of that… my DAYS I *actually* find something Nitzah has said FUNNY?! =D

johselyn
      Participant
      Quote:

Love in The Time of Cholera. I think I heard of this.

Isnt this a Shakespeare type book … ? If Im right ..? I mean, the setting time … ?

Gabriel Garcia Marquez wrote “Love in The Time of Cholera”. I love his books!!! Smile

ANd twilight is fantastic,Crying I am a fan!! When you open the book wowww, you enter is a wonderful world!!Yes

RaNi iS ThE BeS
      Participant
      Quote:

I was t hinking of getting 'Twilight'. My brother said once you start reading it, you get extremely hooked on it. Aint that supposed to be a good thing? Smile … the way he said it … he was like, I know some people … they couldnt/didnt study well for their finals cos they were all into reading Twilight. Im there thinking … then it must be darn good! Smile Lol. I'll get 'Twilight' later on though.

OMG Kavita make sure you get all your school stuff over and done with before you pick up the books! they are sooo addicting! My friend got me into the books LMAO she's hilarious, she watched twilight with her boyfriend and asked him, “why cna't u be a vampire?” LMAO And then she wouldn't stop talking about the books! And so finally i picked up twilight and i got hooked! I read Eclipse in two days, i stayed up all night, didn't do any essays or reading for school, i just read the book! And then when i got the fourth book, Breaking Dawn, i finished it in one day, also staying up all night to read it. it was awful though because i was so depressed once it was over. Sad I shouldn't have read them so fast, i took my time on twilight and New moon, although that one i took a week to read i think, i kept putting it away cuz i would get irritated that edward – lmao ooops i almost gave away a spolier! LOL well just read it lmao Big Smile

I haven't read The Reader.

I REALLY wanted to get into reading mode this summer. I finished the twilight books, i finished The Alchemist, i read HOLES LMAO I LOVE THAT BOOK and I gotta get this Prince book and read that before I can start reading The God of small things and love in the times of cholera although i'm really scared to pick up love in the times of cholera! I looked at it and couldn't find any quotes where ppl talk! all i saaw were endless paragraphs! LMAO SCARED ME! Prolyl woullda put it away if it wasn't for boo Stick out tongue LMAO

And I'm STILL waiting for My Sister's Keeper to arrive and I gotta read The Awakening, i have that but i'm not too excited about starting it lmao

I'm gonna go on a major reading thingamabob this semester inshaAllah Big Smile

boo
      Participant
      Quote:

I REALLY wanted to get into reading mode this summer. I finished the twilight books, i finished The Alchemist, i read HOLES LMAO I LOVE THAT BOOK and I gotta get this Prince book and read that before I can start reading The God of small things and love in the times of cholera although i'm really scared to pick up love in the times of cholera! I looked at it and couldn't find any quotes where ppl talk! all i saaw were endless paragraphs! LMAO SCARED ME! Prolyl woullda put it away if it wasn't for boo Stick out tongue LMAO

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!! LMAO!!! “This Prince book”… LMAO! You will LOVE The Little Prince and the god of small things… love in the time of cholera…. :/ not so sure… be warned: it has a LOT of ramblings… like, a LOT… and it's about a guy's love affairs…….. Big Smile Well, in part… Big Smile

RaNi iS ThE BeS
      Participant

the little prince! i was looking for it in the library today! I didn't find it! Who is the author my lovely? lol yeah yeah u told me imma love those two lmao and girl why are u making me read about a guys love affairs? LMAO pagliBig Smile

boo
      Participant

Normal

false
      false
      false

EN-GB
      X-NONE
      X-NONE

MicrosoftInternetExplorer4

Big Smile I don't know. Cos. Big Smile

Has anyone read The Kite Runner? What did they think of it? Too contrived
      and caricature-like characters, or a well-written piece of work?

How do you distinguish between good writing and bad writing?

I'm confused. While I liked Hosseini's writing in The Kite Runner, it did
      not touch me and shake me in the same way Roy's The God of Small Things did.
      Roy's writing – I felt compelled to go back and read the sentences again and
      full absorb the words, but at the same time, Hosseini has some beautifully
      constructed sentences.

I was just reading some fantastic comments on a blog post about how The Kite
      Runner’s characters were not believable enough and it felt as though Hosseini
      was just using a formula to pull at the heartstrings of people. Tongue Tied Confusing
      stuff.

I don't even know if I should be comparing Kite Runner to God of
      Small Things, but I'm just using it as an example of how different pieces of
      writing touched me in different ways.

Blah. I need to read more!!

Bolly_Lover
      Participant

Heya Boo,

I read the Kite Runner sometime last year, and I remember really enjoying it. And while I agree many of the characters weren't real enough, I definitely recommend this book. It provides good insight to another culture and lifestyle. If you enjoyed The Kite Runner, you might like A Thousand Splendid Suns by Hosseini, or The Writing On My Forhead by Nafisa Haji (good book, felt I could relate to it as an Indian/Canadian, trying to mesh two vastly different cultures in a functional way).

I have just recently finished reading Midnight's Children by Salman Rushdie, gotta say, the book was really difficult to get into, but after the first 60ish pages, I'm glad I didn't give up on it!! An amazing book, Rushdie is a genius. Read this book when you have time, it takes patience to fully appreciate it =). Can't wait to read other novels by him.

Finished reading The Devil Wears Prada yesterday, lol needed a fluff book after MC. Gotta say, I was disappointed! First time I've liked the movie better than the book. While I enjoyed Weisberger's writing, I just couldnt get into it.

Looking for another book to read now, The God of Small Things sounds interesting, maybe I'll give it a go =).

Shereena
      Participant

Silly goat, don't you have two other books you haven't started yet?

boo
      Participant

Aman,

That's the thing. I've heard the situation itself is not very realistic, either. :/ I've heard both ways and I don't have a clue what Afghanistan was like in those days… I have ATSS lined up for reading. 🙂 And I will try and check out The Writing On My Forehead too, not sure when yet… :/

Oh gosh can you believe, I *still* have somewhere (I saved it cos of memories and stuff lol..) the list of books you recommended for me… I remember writing it on a small pink paper and sticking it up on my noticeboard. Ahhh the memories!

I want to read MC too, I will definitely check it out when I have time.

Fluff book wise – Tayba will kill me for this Big Smile – and it's not really FLUFF, I guess, it's actually very nicely written – have you read Nicholas Sparks' The Notebook? You've probably seen/heard of the movie, but the book is a wonderful read if you just want to sit back and relax. 🙂

And GOST, yes, do. Khushi – don't know if you know her? – recommended this book to me and WOW. The way she writes is wow. I guess I see good writing as a water-filled sponge. If you can go back over it again and again and still squeeze something more out of it, if there's always a pleasure in re-absorbing what's already been said once, or finding new droplets of water to absorb, then I guess that's what I call good writing. Meh. I don't know. I'm still finding out. Tongue Tied But GOST is DEFINITELY a sponge LOADED with water. OK I think I've stopped making sense… Tongue Tied

Bolly_Lover
      Participant

Kadu two books? hmm.. one is the time travelers wife, just cant get into it yet, figured id read somehting else first and try to come back to it later, and the second.. iono, my pharmacology textbook? I know i wanted to re-read that before classes start again (lol dont think its gonna happen)

Boo, i do the same thing too! I write down things people recommend (movies, books, songs, etc.) but then always misplace the lists!!

Um no i haven't read the notebook, but ive been wanting to read it! I enjoyed the movie (Ryan Gosling is hott!! and i lubb Rachel McAdams). Ive read The Choice by Sparks, it was a nice an easy read, a good novel to read after MC!

Lol yeah I have no idea what you mean.. too many sponges and water references in that paragraph!! I assume ur trying to tell me its a great book, and i should definitely read it (?) I'll go to chapters tmrw and see if they have it =). Ooo speaking of good authors, have you read The Namesake? I loved Lahiri's style of writing, and how everything flowed so well.

boo
      Participant

Hahahahah… I LOVE the way I make absolutely no sense sometimes… but somehow I think Tayba would understand what the heck I'm on about… she always seems to, weirdly enough… :/ LOL.. but you got the gist of it, yay! Yes yes definitely read the book.

Check out The Notebook OMG DON'T get Tayba started on it lol… Confused varna she'll never shut up… that, and A Walk To Remember by the same author! 🙂 (Both of them, I'd recommend too… have you seen AWTR the movie by any chance? Because I didn't like the movie as much as the book, and Tayba was all like, “OMG OMG BOO YOU DID NOT LIKE THE MOVIE YOU SAALI? Angry” hahahahahaha… Big Smile) I haven't read The Choice, how is it?

You seem to be into a lot of desi fiction huh? Smile I haven't read The Namesake, no… I'm currently reading a biography of Led Zeppelin written by their tour manager, Richard Cole… it is obviously no piece of literary work, but it's really interesting to see how the band was formed, etc. etc. One thing that annoys me though, is the dialogue in the book… it seems kind of obvious that he's paraphrasing the words (obviously as he can't remember every single conversation word for word, but also in the way the dialogues themselves seem to be – too simple and to-the-point, and I doubt that's how ALL the people in the book spoke ALL the time… Confused), almost as though he's trying to make it seem like a story and blahh. But I'm enjoying reading it for the information's sake.

I will also add The Namesake to my bucket list lol. =)

You know something funny, I HAVE NO RECOLLECTION WHATSOEVER of reading Kiran Desai's The Inheritance of Loss, and yet whenever I read about the story, it seems so familiar… it's so strange. Tongue Tied I even remember imagining everything in my head too… argh I hate it when that happens!

Bolly_Lover
      Participant

No i havent read AWTR, but ive seen the movie. I'll have to add The Notebook and AWTR to my list of books to read!! Books are generally better than movies, and since I liked the movies, I'm sure i'll enjoy the books =). Lol thanks for the warning boo! If i dont like the books, i'll make sure i dont say anything to tabz! The choise was arite, an easy read.

Yeah I read a lot of desi novels lol, it started with Rohinton Mistrys A Fine Balance! Oo that sounds interesting. I haven't read a lot of biographies, i want to, but i think right now id rather get lost in a fictional world, then read about something real and concrete. I'm a silly crajee kadu *-)

Haha boo ur so weird ;). The Inheritance of Loss… hmm.. it was well-written, I liked Desai's style of writing. I dont think i liked the book itself though. It was too depressing, but not in a good way if you know what i mean?

Oh another book you might enjoy is Q & A by Vikas Swarup – the book Slumdog Millionaire is based on. I thought the movie was decent, maybe a 7/10. But the book is infinitely better!! I definitely recommend this book =)

RaNi iS ThE BeS
      Participant
      Quote:
      That's the thing. I've heard the situation itself is not very realistic, either. :/ I've heard both ways and I don't have a clue what Afghanistan was like in those days… I have ATSS lined up for reading. 🙂 And I will try and check out The Writing On My Forehead too, not sure when yet… :/

Afghanistan was pretty much like that in those days. The way it was before the war, was described in the book. And also, after the war, same thing. My family actually did the same thing Aamir's dad did. They left Afghanistan and went to Pakistan. Of course, my dad came to America much later though.

What did you mean the situation and everything wasn't realistic? I thought the book was well written and pretty accurate. Of course there are different sides to the story, some Afghanis saw it from a different angle, but Khaled's angle was accurate.

boo
      Participant

I dunno. I'm just quoting what I heard. I don't have a clue either way. Its only significance in this discussion is that Aman was saying the book is good for knowledge about Afghanistan in those days, and I said, “Well I've heard two sides to that aspect too :/”… but thank you for the info hun. <3 Smile It would be interesting to compare this book to another one written about Afghanistan in that time period, though.

RaNi iS ThE BeS
      Participant

Well, Aman is right! Big Smile And no problemo jaanu! Well there's also A Thousand Splended Suns, but its by the same author so i don't see how that would help lolly. its a good book though.

Bolly_Lover
      Participant

haha glad im right bout something!!

Boo: Love in Time of Cholera, he does ramble a lot doesnt he?? and i found a few parts pretty disturbing =S. I want to read 100 years of solitude by Marquez though.. arghhh so many good books, and so little time to read them all!!

kavita_0026
      Participant

Im about midway of The Time Traveler's Wife. Its going kind of slow but its alright.

Love in the Time of Cholera sounds depressing. Confused

boo
      Participant
      Quote:

haha glad im right bout something!!

Boo: Love in Time of Cholera, he does ramble a lot doesnt he?? and i found a few parts pretty disturbing =S. I want to read 100 years of solitude by Marquez though.. arghhh so many good books, and so little time to read them all!!

Ah Marquez babes does love to ramble, bless him.. Big Smile Funny, I was just talking about this book the other day with someone.. and I log on to the forum to find a post about it… awesome. Big Smile I took my time with LITTC, but unlike other books I tend to take my time with, it was a pleasure doing so with this book… I think that's how Marquez meant for us to read it – slowly, steadily, lazily.. absorbing the events and taking long luxurious pauses in between to think about the story… it was only in a couple of the rambly parts I got annoyed with Marquez and wanted him to carry the he.ll on with the book!!

Just finished with A Thousand Splendid Suns… aaaahhhh!!! I have no words, loved that book… Smile READ IT PEOPLE!!!

Think I'll move on to Austen's Persuasion next… Big Smile Been meaning to read that in forever…

scarface
      Participant

These are just the few names I can remember …

Of marriagable Age – Sharon Maas

Yesterday I cried – Iyanla Vanzant

The gratitude effect – Dr John demartini

Judge and Jury – James Patterson

The husband – Dean koonzt

SHANTARAM – Gregory David Roberts

The pact – Jodi Picoult

The tenth circle – Jodi Picoult

The touch – Colleen McCullough

Platinum – Jo Rees

Love and other impossible pursuits – Ayelet Waldman

Chasing Harry Winston – Lauren Weisberger

Still reading or trying to complete:

The mermaids chair – Sue Monk Kidd

and

Act like a lady, think like a man – Steve Harvey ( sigh ) this man ..I just dnt get it….

scarface
      Participant
      Quote:

Im about midway of The Time Traveler's Wife. Its going kind of slow but its alright.

Love in the Time of Cholera sounds depressing. Confused

u completed this yet kav?? if so how was it??

kavita_0026
      Participant

Hey di, nah, actually I havent completed this book as yet. I had wanted read it before watching the movie. I am about in the middle of the book. I think its going kind of slow but, its alright.

boo
      Participant

SHANTARAM SHANTARAM SHANTARAM!

Though, I am in the process of reading it now so please don’t post any spoilers! 🙁

His writing, his philosophy… his experiences/imagination.. just wow.

Bolly_Lover
      Participant

A book that I’ve read a couple times and found really thought-provoking is “The God Delusion” by RIchard Dawkins. It was an interesting read, and definitely recommend it to everyone. One may not agree with his view/statements, but I think its always good to keep an open mind and try something new =). He has an engaging writing style as well, I look forward to reading his other books!!

The Millennium series is also excellent! (The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo, The Girl Who Played With Fire, The Girl Who Kicked the Hornet’s Nest-haven’t read the last one yet).

The next couple books I’m hoping to read are the aforementioned Hornets Nest and Room by Emma Donahugh – heard a lot of good things about this book. Just waiting for them to be out in trade paperback!!

boo
      Participant

Bolly Lover!!!! How are you dear? So nice to see you on here! I have tried reading TGD, but I gave up on it back then. Guess I wasn’t in the mood then to try it. I have heard plenty of nice things about his older book, The Selfish Gene, however and I have been recommended to read it by several different people. I guess one day I will get round to it – so many books, so little time! 😐

I have only recently realised The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo has a psychiatric/psychological element to it, so now I’m really curious to read it. 🙂

Bolly_Lover
      Participant

Hey boo! I’m doing pretty good, how are you???

I’ve read The God Delusion a couple times, and have downloaded it on to my phone. I pull it out and just read random parts every now and then, never fails to get me thinking! I received The Selfish Gene for Christmas, it was one of the books on my “to read” list. Haven’t had a chance to read it yet, as you say, so many books, so little time 😉

Another book I’ve heard great things about is “Six Months in Sudan,” which recounts the journey of a young physician working for Doctors without Borders. I’ve read a couple excerpts, which were pretty inspiring.

Gahhh! Wish I had more time to read. Would love to be relaxing on a beach with a nice cold drink and a good book!!

scarface
      Participant

Boo, u will absolutely LOVE SHANTARAM .. when I read it ..back in 2008/2009?? cant remember now, I could not put that book down, loved his experiences, absolutely will recommend this book over and over and over again…..
      enjoy and tell me what u think when u done…wait.. now I cant remember if u said u want to read it or u have read it…

been reading a lot of Harlan Coben books.. very entertaining, if you are interested in crime/suspense with a splash, ok make that overdoses of romance, in between..

am trying to get through, an autobiography of a yogi but its too dense for me right now..
      havent really been out checking whats new, so any good recommendations welcome..

boo
      Participant

Hey Alie how are you? You do not seem good, hope the sun shines in your heart soon again. 🙂

Yes I am currently reading Shantaram and noticed in the posts above that you recommended it too. I simply simply simply LOVE his writing. And the philosophy in it. I’ve even folded the corners of pages I especially liked. 🙂

Never read any Harlan Coben books, I really should someday! 🙂

Not too good with what’s new unfortunately, although if you get a chance to – read Five Point Someone by Chetan Bhagat. This is the book that the film 3 Idiots is based on. I bought it for aeroplane reading – NOT a good idea as I was HOWLING with laughter and everyone on the plane, in the waiting rooms, wherever, kept staring at me. OOOOPS. Hilarious book though, nicely written. It’s a short book too – perfect for plane journeys. 🙂

scarface
      Participant

hey boo

am still breathing, thats a good sign I guess:) how have u been?

***hope the sun shines in yr heart again soon***
      thanks hun..i have no clue if it would..but you could not have phrased that better..

I am just sooo happyyyyyyyy to see that someone other than me, whom I know ….. LOVES his writing… his book, his experiences, touched my soul back then
      am glad ur enjoying it..

will keep my eye out for Chetan Bhagat’s – five point someone… if 3 idiots based on it, its something I know I will want to read…and here u got me picturing u laughing ..wait.. howling with stares from all direction… **smiles**

@ bolly lover – a friend recommended “The God Delusion” by RIchard Dawkins.. will check out for this one when I get a chance as well..

Bolly_Lover
      Participant

Hey Boo! I noticed the book “Shantaram” on my unit the other night, made me think of you :). I read the blurb and it sounds interesting, something I might want to read when I have a bit more time. Let me know what you think of it when you’re done!

Bolly_Lover
      Participant

Does anyone here have an e-reader? And if so, what are their thoughts on it?

I’m considering purchasing an e-reader, most likely Kindle 3, or a Kindle 4 if it comes out in the summer as per rumors. I have avoided them until now because I was hesitant about reading off a screen, and I’m a freak and like buying new books. But it would just be so much more convenient to have multiple books on a tiny device, especially when going on a trip or when I’m not sure what I feel like reading. And apparently the e-ink technology is amazing, and doesn’t cause eye strain.

I’ve looked into the iPad as well, but the size, weight, and battery life are major deterrents. Unless Apple comes out with something smaller and with a better battery life, I don’t think it would work for me.

What do you guys think? is an e-reader a good purchase? 😕

boo
      Participant

Don’t have one myself Aman, but I’m like you too – I like buying new books and the ‘earthy’ FEEL of a book. I saw someone on the bus the other day reading out of a Kindle or whatever it is Amazon are using, and I got all kinds of mad (in my head. lol.) at them. I was all like “huff puff, I LUG my books around and you GET them on this machine? How unnatural.. puh.” (Yes, I believe a nose of a certain Boo did go up into the air at some point! Oooops. :P)

Then I got thinking about it, and realised how HANDY it would be. This was also the day I was lugging around Shantaram (you’ve seen a copy of the book, you know how huge it is!) in my tiny (yes, blonde moment.. oh well. The bag looked pretty! I couldn’t help it!) bag and it was totally uncomfortable… on the bus, I was thinking how “HAH I’m LOYAL to my books I CARRY THEM AROUND HAH” LOL. But I was getting the point of the convenience of the e-reader or Kindle or ipad or whatever the fancy schmancy gadget is. I thought about how it would actually make my life a lot easier…

I guess it depends how often you read, really.. and I get what you mean about not being sure which book to read, too. I don’t actualy know many people with Kindles or stuff either, I’m guessing this is kinda a relatively new phenomenon? (But then again, books and reading seem to be becoming a relatively old phenomenon! Or is it just me :S) Do your friends have any? What do they think?

Bolly_Lover
      Participant

I feel the same way boo! I’m so torn.. I love going into bookstores and simply browsing, or adding another book to my bookshelf when I’m done with it. I almost feel like I’d be betraying all my books by purchasing a gadget and storing them there instead, I’m a freak, right?

On the other hand, the kindle 3 can store approximately 3500 books, you can read it in all lighting conditions (dim light, bright room, in direct sunlight – no glare!). Most articles and blogs I’ve read recommend the Kindle over any other e-reader, and even over the iPad. I know someone who has a kindle, and she says a single charge lasts her about two months if she has the wi-fi turned off.

Also, books come out in e-book format sooner than paperback, and I personally dislike hardcover books because they can be so big and bulky. I’ve been waiting for almost a year for a couple books to be published in paperback, it’s getting to be quite ridiculous. E-books are also generally cheaper than other formats. A few dollars here or there don’t make a big difference, but when you buy a lot of books, it really adds up over time.

Gaaahh.. so confused.. think I need to do some more research.

I feel like Rory when she was making her pro/con list for Yale, Harvard, etc.

boo
      Participant

@Bolly_Lover wrote:

I feel like Rory when she was making her pro/con list for Yale, Harvard, etc.

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: love it! … or like Ross when he made a pro/con list to choose between Rachel and that other girl (Tayba will KILL me for not remembering her name, being a self-confessed Friends obsessee and all that… ooops! But I absoluuutely can’t remember right now! :S) 🙄

Bolly_Lover
      Participant

Okay, so I read my previous post and I think the pros outweigh the cons.. Just gotta figure out which one now!

Boo, her name was Julie! Ross and her were cute together.

boo
      Participant

LOL ohhh yeaaahhhhh… duh me. Incidentally, a Friend episode WITH JULIE came on TV yesterday… crajee or what! :mrgreen: PS: I still think of you when I say the word crajee… 😉 AND It’s The Time To Disco… awesome or what 🙂

Bolly_Lover
      Participant

Lol nice =). I haven’t seen that movie or heard that song in so long.. it was a pretty good movie.
      Ahh.. memories!!

scarface
      Participant

FINALLY got my own copy of SHANTARAM, so cant wait to re-read 😀 😀 😀 😀 😀 😀 😀 😀 😀 😀 😀 😀 😀 😀 😀 😀 😀 😀 😀 😀 😀

also got a copy of the god delusion, started reading it, am a bit weary, for the mere fact that the book has a contents page..

went shoe shopping yesterday but ended up buying a few random books at the stalls and a few book stores, cant remember the names ( have a habit of randomly picking up books that **looks** interesting – and actually turn into really good reads) but am positive will keep me occupied for a little while

am in this craze ** need to buy books** phase and from past experience, its not a good phase, I love books and reading, but am such a book-shopah-holic dat it freaks even me out at times..

Bolly_Lover
      Participant

I just finished reading “Water for Elephants” by Sarah Gruen, it was an entertaining and captivating book. I didn’t want to put it down once I started it. The protagonist is so very likeable, and the author’s writing style is very engaging. She picks up on little details and makes you examine them in a new light, she makes you think about your own future and the inevitable changes we all experience. It is a relatively short book – only 300 odd pages, so if anyones looking for a short read, I absolutely recommend this book! =)

boo
      Participant

Hey Aman sweety, good to see you back here, was wondering where you’d gone! I will have to check it out. I am STILL ploughing through Shantaram, can you believe? 😐

Bolly_Lover
      Participant

I’m not surprised, that was one fat book! I’m hoping to read “Room” next, and once I’m through that I’ll give “Shantaram” a try, hope it’s good as you guys say it is :p!!

boo
      Participant

I just Amazoned that book, it looks REALLY interesting! Will you be reading it on Kindle?

This made me think, what do you think are the ‘classic’ books of our times? The ones that people will go back to in a few decades’ time and think, ‘Ah, what a beautiful book!’? It’s really confusing me – as we don’t have Charles Dickens or Jane Austen in our times, but we still have absolutely brilliant writers. But somehow it just seems like there is no one ‘wow’ book in the market nowadays? Or is there?

I would *shudder* at the idea of Dan Brown becoming our times’ classic writing!! 😛 Although to be fair DVC did actually make a lot of people sit up and read…

So I guess I’m talking from both a commerical and a literature perspective, I guess. Any thoughts?

ETA: Holy smokes Aman!! Just had a bit of a read around the book, and got into the case that it was inspired from. It is horrifying and saddening and shocking all at once. Oh my word.

Bolly_Lover
      Participant

Hey boo, no I haven’t purchased the Kindle yet, I’m still looking at reviews, compatibility with different text formats, etc. I think if everything checks out, I might buy it in the next week or so! Excited :).

I’m not sure what future generations will think of the authors of our time, but we do have some great writers. A few names I can think off the top of my head include Margaret Atwood, Salman Rushdie, and J K Rowling (I know people might not agree with me on this one, but I personally love the HP series, especially the later novels. Plus, she got people curious and into reading!)

And about there being a “wow” book I think it really depends on a person’s perspective and what they enjoy reading. For example, if you like legal thrillers, you would like John Grisham’s last book or the Millennium series by Steig Larrson.

I was hoping to be reading “Room” by now, but unfortunately it is STILL not out in paperback. So ridiculous, I’ve been waiting for months! Getting frustrated.. I just started “Committed” by Elizabeth Gilbert last night. I loved “Eat, Pray, Love.” It was on sale for 40% off at the supermarket and I was out of books to read!

Oh and I enjoyed Dan Brown’s “DVC” and “Angels and Demons”. Thought his last book “The Lost Symbol” was strictly average, there was no mystery or suspense and it was obvious who the mystery character was. I don’t think he’d make the list of the best authors of our time, IMO.

Bolly_Lover
      Participant

Got the Kindle!! Love it so far =).

I read “The Palace of Illusions” by Chitra Banerjee Divakaruni and a few short stories by Aravind Adiga. Next on my list to read are: “The White Tiger” by Aravind Adiga, and “Shantaram”, should be good, I”ve heard good things about both these books :).

Bolly_Lover
      Participant

Okay, so I loveee my Kindle so far! It’s awesome how the ebooks are so much cheaper than buying print (though I still miss the feel of the books, and actually flipping through the pages). I also love that you can preview a few chapters of the book before buying it.

Also, I wanted to recommend a book I read a while ago and recently re-discovered, it’s titled “Unaccustomed Earth” by Jhumpa Lahiri, author of “The Namesake.” It is a collection of a number of short stories, all of which are really engaging – you truly don’t want to put this novel down!!

boo
      Participant

Unaccustomed Earth is on my to read list too!

A friend recently bought me ‘A Fine Balance’ by Rohinton Mistry, which I’ve been meaning to read for AGES and the best thing is, I remember Aman having recommended that book to me like, wow over 6 years ago now… 🙁 I am terrible recommended-reader! But I remember wanting to read it for ages so I finally get to read it whoooop!

BUT a random girl I met on a long bus journey gifted to me (! i know! very sweet gesture it was 🙂 ) her book (which was a spare, second-hand copy anyway) called Redeeming Love by Francine Rivers. I heard it’s in the genre of Christian lit/Christian romance style… has anyone read it?

I dunno which of these to read first!

STILL need to finish Shantaram.. might not even get to finish it or even pick it up for another month or so as life is so so so busy!!! It’s so UNFAIR. 👿 But oh well. 🙂

Bolly_Lover
      Participant

Lol that is very sweet of your friend. “A Fine Balance” is a great book, one of my favorites. Mistry is undoubtedly a gifted writer and does a great job of incorporating real historical events into his writing and depicting the socio-cultural environment of India. The characters are so real and well-defined, you can feel their joy and their sadness and desperation.. I read the book for the second time several years ago, but I still find myself thinking about the characters and their situations – they just kinda stay with you!!

Don’t think I’ve ever heard of that novel or the author. Fine Balance is a pretty long book, so read whatever you have time for :).

I’m currently reading “Sacred Games” by Vikram Chandra. I keep finding new great books, and my “to read list” never gets shorter. Wish I had more time to read.

boo
      Participant

I probably won’t read either book as I need all the luggage space I can muster for all the shopping I am going to (hopefully) do, plus I always think it’s nicer buying books at the place of travel itself. =) I have lost all interest in picking up a book and reading of late, just want to get in my car and drive far away! 🙁

How is your book?

Bolly_Lover
      Participant

Yeah, books can take up a lot of space. Especially if you are going away for more than a few days and want to take a couple books with you. Hope you have fun on your trip and with all your shopping, a from everyday is always good!!

I just reading “Sacred Games” last night. It was a lengthy but enjoyable read. The story is sent in Bombay/Mumbai, and revolves largely around two central characters: an underworld gangster who is trying to discover himself and find meaning of life, and a police officer who is simply trying to get through everyday life and work by dealing with shady characters, until the case of a lifetime is thrust upon him.

Im always kinda sad when I finish reading a good book. I feel like I become part of the story, and when it ends it sometimes feels like I’m missing a bit of me.. does that make sense or am I a freak? 😕

boo
      Participant

NO I completely get what you mean. I actually said good bye to the characters in Suketu Mehta’s Maximum City LOL. :mrgreen: …. as you do, of course… 🙄

I am actually contemplating joining the technology scene and getting myself a Kindle or whatever it is called. (Yes yes major traitor I know!! And a major hypocrite after telling you how it’s so much nicer to have the book!!) But of course, right now I can’t afford anything new anyway. Have my heart set on getting a wide angle lens for my camera so I think that’s where the next supply of savings will go to. Or maybe a holiday in winter, hmm! I have a friend in Kuwait whom I really want to visit… :/ argh, decisions. Why can’t money grow on trees! lol

Bolly_Lover
      Participant

Haha, I don’t think I’ve ever formally said goodbye to any characters.. If it is a good book, I do tend to get immersed in it, imagine what my life would be like if I was part of the story, how I would relate to the characters, how I would react if I was in their place. Thankfully all my nuts and bolts are in place, can you imagine what it would be like if you had a break from reality and were in some sort of psychosis. Freaky.

Bolly_Lover
      Participant

Lol, I know what you mean about being a “traitor”, I feel that way sometimes, but I absolutely love my Kindle. It is just so convenient and portable. I miss the feel of books and flipping actual pages, but for me, personally, the pros of the kindle outweigh the cons.

Ooo you have an SLR! exciting. I was considering purchasing one recently (was looking at the Nikon D3100 – a good entry level DSLR), but wasn’t sure how I would like it. I’m sure it takes excellent quality pictures and has a lot of great features, but I ended up crapping out and buying the Nikon coolpix s8100. A nice point-n-shoot, good image quality and easy to use. Plus it is lightweight and compact. Maybe someday I’ll be ready for a DSLR.

scarface
      Participant

Some of the books I read recently, I actually took down some of the names suggested here and searched for the books ..found the god of small things a tad bit uncomfortable to digest but I loved loved love the writing on my forehead and the Rohinton Mistry book, except I couldnt find the suggested one, the best readings came from the Amy tan books, I read all( i think every book they had of hers at the lib) and absolutely LOVED IT, it came at the right time for me, losing my mum and reading all these relationship stories ***sigh**
      oh I also enjoyed Chimamanda – My WORD, she is an awesome writer, cant get enough of her work, purple hibiscus started of slow and I coudnt bring myself to continue reading it but then it gripped me and I wouldnt leave it until I was done…
      I read a few others that were recommended here but cant remember all the names/titles.. have completed the reading group, loved it. I think now am reading this mystery crime novel by Tess Gerritsen, call after midnight..started it this am.. but am more looking forward to James Freys – A million little pieces, I ordered it so waiting ( impatiently for it to be shipped) heard its controversial, was watching snippets of an interview the author had with Oprah so it got my attention.. welll here goes!!!! Two months of literary intake .. a sure way to distract myself from life:)

Rohinton Mistry – Family Matters – loved it
      Amy Tan- Saving Fish from drowning, The Bonesetters Daughter, the kitchen god’s wife, the joy luck club – loved all of it
      Stephen King – The green Mile – cant believe how gripping this book is, want to watch the movie now
      Harlen Coben –The innocent, Hold tight – uhmmmm didnt enjoy as much as I thought I would, predictable
      Nora Roberts- Ceremony in Death – actually liked it
      Shobaa de’ – Snapshots- was funny and unbelievably realistic
      Meg cabot – size 14 is not fat either –
      Sarah Webb – Some kind of Wonderful
      Aravind Adiga – The White Tiger
      Dean Koontz – Mr Murder
      Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie –The thing around your neck, Purple Hibiscus, half of the yellow sun
      Jeffrey Deaver – The Sleeping Doll
      Chris Roberson –book of secrets
      Stuart Mcbride – Flesh House
      Elizabeth Noble- the girl next door, busy reading ( the reading group)
      Anna Richards – Little Gods
      Nicolas Sparks – True Believer
      Nora Roberts-savor the moment
      Erica Spindler – Breakneck
      Beth Kendrik – Ex’s and Oh’s
      Dean KOONTZ – Relentless
      James Patterson- 7th heaven, 8th confession, Mary Mary
      Nafisa Haji – The writing on my forehead (loved it )
      Jonathan Kellerman – Confession
      Ali Smith – Hotel World –
      Arundathi Roy – the god of small things
      Isabel Wolff –forget me not

scarface
      Participant

@**scarface** wrote:

Meg cabot – size 14 is not fat either – was a good read, funny
      Sarah Webb – Some kind of Wonderful – hmm the usual romance novel
      Aravind Adiga – The White Tiger – loved this one ***BOO, u shud check this one out***
      Dean Koontz – Mr Murder- interesting like all Dean Koontz novels
      Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie –The thing around your neck, Purple Hibiscus, half of the yellow sun-loved it all, def recommend her work
      Jeffrey Deaver – The Sleeping Doll-predictable
      Chris Roberson –book of secrets-sorta interesting
      Stuart Mcbride – Flesh House-my word, if u have a funny tummy for the gruesome, DONT read, appararently its based on true events – people eating people ….I honestly dont look at meat the same way now
      Elizabeth Noble- the girl next door, busy reading ( the reading group) -loved both, Theres this book called, the things I want my daughter to know, for some reason on two different occassions, I had picked that book and left it back coz it was just ..well too sentimental for me to even look at, and dats the title only, but weirdly I randomly chose, the girl next door and off handedly bought the reading group by the very same author, so I guess in an odd way its a sign for me to read that first book:) I would recommend her books, reminds me of catherine cookson/jodi picoult
      Anna Richards – Little Gods – actually liked this book after a while…interesting
      Nicolas Sparks – True Believer- hmmm predictable
      Nora Roberts-savor the moment – absolute romance
      Erica Spindler – Breakneck – suspense was sorta predictable
      Beth Kendrik – Ex’s and Oh’s – was ok
      Dean KOONTZ – Relentless- liked
      James Patterson- 7th heaven, 8th confession, Mary Mary – loved the first two..read Mary mary twice now
      Nafisa Haji – The writing on my forehead (loved it ) lovvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvved it
      Jonathan Kellerman – Confession- not recommended
      Ali Smith – Hotel World – reminded me of my mother, for some odd not sure why way
      Arundathi Roy – the god of small things- ok so were these sibling playing at incest or am I retardedly jumping to conclusions here, it just didnt keep me attentive enough to understand it.
      Isabel Wolff –forget me not

Bolly_Lover
      Participant

I want to recommend the Hunger Games trilogy by Suzanne Collins! It’s supposed to be a “young” adults series about a post-apocalyptic world, where everything is controlled central government. I was hooked from the first few pages, and read all three books within a week. The books are gripping, full of surprises and brilliantly written. If you have time to read these books, give them a shot, I’m sure you will enjoy them 🙂

Bolly_Lover
      Participant

They are making movies based on the Hunger Games trilogy!! So excited. Will have to re-read the books before the movie releases.

I just finished reading Dennis Lehane’s series based on two PI’s Patrick Kenzie and Angie Gennaro. Gotta say, the last book “Moonlight Mile” wasn’t as good as the other. I think “Darkness Take My Hand” and “Gone Baby Gone” are my fav two novels in the series.

Not reading anything atm, trying to figure out what genre I want to read next.

boo
      Participant

I’ve bloody started reading the Babysitter’s club again! Need some comfort reading with the hell that is my life right now 😛 Don’t judge!

Bolly_Lover
      Participant

Hahahaha!! Babysitters Club?? Wow, that brings back some fond memories. I learnt so much from those novels, they were good stories lol.

Bolly_Lover
      Participant

Have recently started reading “A Game of Thrones”. This series was recommend by a few of my cousins. I figured if these men can be so pumped up over some books, they had to be good! I’ll let you all know how it goes 🙂

gsmbooster
      Participant

I don’t like to read books as I find them boring. However, I would like to share that the last book which I have read was Harry Potter.

Unique_Princess
      Participant

My husband bought me a Kindle for my birthday last year. I was totally against them before – cos I love the smell of paper books and I love pretty front covers and shopping in book stores for ages… (I am such a dork lol). It was a surprise and at first I was unsure but now I love it!!

I just finished reading ‘The Help’ by Kathryn Stockett and it was amazing and powerful and wonderfully written. Well worth the read! The movie was good too, but books are always better of course.

boo
      Participant

@Bolly_Lover wrote:

Hahahaha!! Babysitters Club?? Wow, that brings back some fond memories. I learnt so much from those novels, they were good stories lol.

Damn right they are! lol. :mrgreen:

Bolly_Lover
      Participant

So I finished the Game of Thrones a few months ago.. the book was a good read and different from anything else I have read. That being said, I probably won’t read any of the sequels. It isn’t my type of fiction. I’m still interested in the TV show, have the first season on my computer, and will probably start watching it when I finish re-watching Gilmore Girls 🙂

Bolly_Lover
      Participant

So I started watching the first season of A Game of Thrones. It’s so weird. I don’t know if I like it or not. I doesn’t seem like my kind of TV show. It’s so scattered, at least in the novel it made more sense. In the show, everything is so all over the place, so jumpy.

The show has been nominated for so many awards though.. does that mean it has to be good and I’m just not watching it right? lol. No clue. Fact is, I’m not really enjoying it. Now I am debating whether I should finish watching the rest of the season, or forgetting it and stop wasting my time. Time I could be doing more important things.

Anyone else watch it or heard anything about it??

scarface
      Participant

I knw someone recommended The Hunger games a while back

I recently read them, non-stop, absolutely LOVE the book and some of the characters

Peeta being my fav of coz:)

bought a ton of books, just havent had time to read lately
      so not much else to suggest at the mo’

Bolly_Lover
      Participant

I know how you feel! I bought so many books recently, and just don’t have the time to read them all. It makes me sad 🙁

Btw, I just finished reading “Cutting for Stone” by Abraham Verghese, and OMG it’s an amazing book! It took me a couple days to get into it, but then I couldn’t put it down. He is such a good writer, and the concept/basic premise of the book is really interesting as well. It’s filled with everything you could want – drama, lies, love, betrayal, loss, tenderness.

If you guys have some time and are looking for a good book, check this out for sure!

Viewing 257 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.