Tuesday 16 September 2014

QUESTION GAME

This topic contains 1,444 replies, has 46 voices, and was last updated by  scarface 2 years, 1 month ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1,426 through 1,440 (of 1,445 total)
  • Author

boo
    Participant

Necklaces! My collection sucks, though.

What is your absolute weakness? :mrgreen:

Bolly_Lover
    Participant

Chocolate!! and people I love.

Fiction or Non-fiction?

boo
    Participant

ATM, fiction. :D

What are your views on Bollywood supposedly becoming more Westernized?

Bolly_Lover
    Participant

Change is inevitable and I think recent Bollywood films are depicting a cultural change in India – at least in the bigger cities, and to an extent in the smaller cities and towns. I think this is great, I enjoy watching movies that are relatively realistic and have characters that I can somewhat relate to. That being said, I still love movies from the 90’s in which the focus was on family, values, and tradition (e.g. DDLJ, Hum Aapke Hain Kaun, Maine Pyar Kiya) and even more old school movies (e.g. Sangam, Yaadon Ki Baraat, Deewar, Sholay). I can see why some people may not like the direction in which Bollywood movies are heading, but if the movies hadn’t changed with time, we’d still be watching black n white movies in which bandits were kidnapping the heroine and the hero would single-handedly overpower 20 evil guys, save the heroine, and live happily ever after!!

I want to know what others think about this, so same question!!

scarface
    Participant

ok am going to answer both q’s

1. ringsss… love em

2. my mum

same q

scarface
    Participant

oops wth?? I didnt see the last few posts, sorry

on Boo’s Q – to an extent it is good entertainment, in the sense that the story lines are more realistic, however there are movies that makes me want to screammmmmmm coz of the unecessary se.xual content and humor
    I think many movies get their points across without having to use this type of *western*modern* advertising
    ok am out of thoughts for now on this

same question

RaNi iS ThE BeS
    Participant

@boo wrote:

What are your views on Bollywood supposedly becoming more Westernized?

It’s fine, I guess. The only thing that really bothers me about that are the change in clothes and all the kissing and sex scenes. It’s unnecessary – unless it IS necessary and those scenes play a big part on the plot – and quite annoying. My family bonds over Bollywood movies – it used to be such an ‘us’ thing to do, bring a movie home, and have our whole family in one room – laughing and enjoying our time together. The movie didn’t even necessarily have to be good, the point was that we were all together – having a good time. But nowadays, the movies are full of kissing and sex scenes and which actress has now decided to wear a bikini for her movie, and not to mention John Abraham and his scene in Dostana – My family can no longer sit together and enjoy a good movie, we’re all too busy being uncomfortable and reaching for the remote to forward the scene. I can watch those kinds of movies with my sister and mom, we still forward the sex scenes of course, but it’s not uncomfortable with them. But with my dad? No way. It’s a little less uncomfortable with my twin, because we’re close, but still not comfortable enough. And of course we don’t let my little brother watch those kinds of movies, so. For me, this change is a little personal, because it makes it harder to bond with my family over a good movies. But that’s good because now we’ve found better ways to bond instead of over TV. lol =D

The rest doesn’t really bother me. I actually didn’t really notice the change as fast as others did. I guess it’s good in a way, because they don’t make movies where a mother loses her child and then meets with him/her years and years later (Yamla Pagla Deewana lol). But personally, I liked those stories/movies (the good ones, not the stupid ones). I do miss some of the older Bollywood type movies, and I enjoy a historical setting, like Lagaan or Paheli(altho the movie wasn’t that great). And I LOVE the different village dialects of hindi (and get really excited that I understand most of it), like how they used in Lagaan or Paheli ( can’t think of another movie right now), and I love it when a lot of hindi (with big words) is used in a movie, or how so much pretty Urdu was used in Tehzeeb. The part of me that loves languages misses that in Bollywood movies. There is a lot of English in movies nowadays.

But that being said, I do like a lot of the movies that are made now. (I mean, my favorite is Jab We Met, so. – but then again, that had a very typical bollywood story to it, with just a lil twist that made it seem different.) I especially love that they make a lot of… socially aware, or psychological movies. I don’t know if those are the words I’m looking for, but movies like Taare Zameen Par – that deal with dyslexia, or Black, or You, Me, aur Hum – that dealt with Alzheimer’s (VERY good movie, btw). Yes, there was romance in it, but I liked that because it showed how couples deal with their partner’s terminal illness or w/e. Or Karthik calling Karthik, which dealt with schizophrenia (although the movie in itself was really boring). OR Thatastu, which was more socially aware, I think? About how a father hijacks an entire hospital to save his son’s life. I loved that movie. And Chak de India as well – I liked how there wasn’t a main couple in that movie, no big love story. I know, I know, me being such a romantic and all, happy about no romance? But the thing was, I WAS initially upset about no one being paired with SRK, but when I watched the movie, it just made me realize that some stories are bigger than the romance part, you don’t NEED romance in every single story, some stories need to be told, and the romance isn’t part of the story at that point (like no one killed Jessica as well) – but I’m not sure if all this would be called becoming more Westernized? I know that Thatastu is a copy of a hollywood movie, but I dunnoe if that counts in becoming more western? If it does, then I really like that change, if it doesn’t, then I still like that change.

I am happy that bollywood has taken out some stupid stuff from movies now – like those really retarded/embarrassing dance moves… or… I don’t know what else, but just those things when you watch an old movie and you just HAVE to laugh at some of the stupid stuff that goes on. I noticed how they don’t make songs with the main couple going off to a meadow and singing while there are tons of female dancers in the back or female AND male dancers in the back. =D But some of my favorite movies to watch over and over again DO include the older movies, like… the ‘Koyla’ times, or older – I can’t think of any names right now. But I do think, “Why can’t they make movies like these anymore?” when I’m watching some old movies. The thing is, even if those old movies weren’t amazing, they were still good. Nowadays, if a movie isn’t AMAZING, it just plain sucks.

Whoa. I wrote an essay, wth is it with me and not being able to shut up? If you made it this far, I’m sorry you read through all that! LOL

Next: What kinds of genres of movies do you enjoy the most?

Bolly_Lover
    Participant

Rom-coms and thrillers

Where would you like to go on a vacation?

scarface
    Participant

italy

steamed veg or grilled

Bolly_Lover
    Participant

depends on the veg.. overall, I prefer grilled vegies.

What is your favorite perfume?

scarface
    Participant

Right now its Gucci – by gucci
    and dolce and gabbana ( the one and the original )
    perceive – avon

whats your favorite time of day?

Bolly_Lover
    Participant

Hmm.. I think afternoon or evening.

Do you wear a watch?

scarface
    Participant

Yep

have u ever danced in the rain?
    stayed awake to watch a sunrise ?
    eaten a whole box of Lindt chocolate watching a soppy movie and not feeling guilty?
    sat at your desk in the office and just gazed out the window watching the branches of a winter tree?
    hmm in other words – have u ever just STOPPED and remained STILL to watch life ??

Bolly_Lover
    Participant

Danced in the rain – Yes
    Stayed awake to watch a sunrise – Yes
    Eaten a whole box of Lindt + movie – No
    Sat at desk in office – Wouldn’t be able to do it, even if I wanted to!!
    Stopped – Yes!!!

One of my favorite moments this summer was swimming in the ocean at Turks and Caicos. Feeling the hot summer sun on my face, while in the crystal blue water and forgetting everything. Just savoring the moment – it was magical. It was a moment and a trip that I will never forget.

How was your summer?

scarface
    Participant

summer 2011.. well will have to wait for Nov to answer that one
    the best thing abut last summer was taking an adventure trip, trekking through this gorgeous lil mountain and then going out bungee jumping, awesumness

Q:
    Whats yr fav flavor icecream?

Viewing 15 posts - 1,426 through 1,440 (of 1,445 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Opinions are closed.