Viewing 72 reply threads
  • Author
      Bolly_Lover
      Participant

Whats the last movie you watched, and what movie are you planning on watching next, or looking forward to?

Last movie I watched was Toy Story 3, surprisingly good movie! Ive heard a lot about it, and how its one of the best movies of the year. Overall, I really enjoyed it, but don’t think it beats out The Social Network or Inception.

Next movie(s): No One Killed Jessica, Patiala House, and Harry Potter 7 part 1 (hate that I haven’t seen it yet!!)

boo
      Participant

😮 get yourself to a cinema ASAP and watch HP7:1!! It is totally the best HP by far. In fact, it’s the only HP film I actually like. lol. Definitely worth it!

Well, I still have not seen Band Baaja Baarat, I really really want to! Guess since the DVD is out soon, I will get the DVD as I have heard enough good things about this movie. Been AGES since we had a wholesome, ‘decent’ family entertainer! 😀

Really, REALLY looking forward to No One Killed Jessica. Seeing Rani on the big screen again reminds me of our Rani LOL. Has anyone seen it? How is it? So looking forward to my Rani! <3

Patiala House I am looking forward to, I didn’t realise it came with Anuskha Sharma (is that her name? oops). I am also interested in Yamla Pagla Deewana. I have a feeling it may be a kinda… average movie, so I shall have to wait and see.

And OMG OMG Dhobi Ghat!!!!! SO looking forward to that. I still think the best Mumbai-representing film is Mira Nair’s Salaam Bombay (yes, not Slumdog Millionnaire!). So I am looking forward to seeing this movie so much. The trailers look good. It’s directed by Aamir’s wife, yes?

Hollywood-wise.. oh boy I have a LOT to catch up on!! Currently from my online DVD rental, I have No Country For Old Men, which I am yet to watch. I want to watch The Social Network. There are so many more but I’ve forgotten.

I cannot think that far back, but I guess the last movie I watched was The Hangover… what a HIGH-larious movie!!! Just loved it – the crude jokes/dialogues, the storyline, everything! I was cracking up laughing. It’s so good to watch a no-holds-barred comedy once in a while, really refreshes your mind. 😀

Bolly_Lover
      Participant

I know, I feel like a terrible HP fan =(. I wanted to re-watch all the past HP movies before watching the new one (sort of a tradition I guess). I just finished watching HP – Goblet of Fire (one of my personal favs!). Another couple more, and hopefully I’ll be able to catch the last one while it’s still in theaters.

Dude, Hangover came out forever ago!! lol. I think Shereena and I are the only ones who didn’t find that movie to be funny =S, which is weird since I really enjoy mind-less entertainers once in a while. I remember sitting in the movie theater and everyone around us was laughing like crazy.. guess you have to be in the mood for a movie like that *-)..

I watched King’s Speech recently and it was surprisingly good! Much better than I had anticipated.

Next movie I want to watch: HP 5 and 6 so I can finalllyyy watch HP 7

RaNi iS ThE BeS
      Participant

The last bolly movie I saw was No One Killed Jessica with my sister. For some reason, I thought it was going to be about politics, and I normally don’t like movies that are politics-centered, but I, being the fan that I am, watched it just for Rani Mukherji. And once the movie started, I realized it wasn’t about politics, but about the murder case of a girl (duh, title?). The movie itself was a good movie. Everything was executed nicely and it wasn’t at all boring. Well, I was a little anxious for Rani to come on screen, so up until she came, all I was doing was asking my sister, “WHERE’S RANI?” Lol But after she came on screen, I was able to pay better attention to the movie. It’s not actually REALLY my thing, I prefer big, over the top, fun, hilarious, romantic, with good comedy and an exceptionally good story these days. Just a really bollywood type of film, but this wasn’t at all bad. I actually had to pee really badly and I didn’t want to get up in case I miss something (or more importantly, miss the next time Rani came on screen!). Vidya Balan was amazing in the movie. I mean, there was never any doubt about her acting skills, and she’s proven it once again in this movie. She got me crying a few times and I couldn’t help but feel horror at the thought of ever losing MY sister, who was sitting right next to me. So Vidya played out that sorrow very nicely. My big star, however, was Rani. I can’t get over how brilliant she was in the movie. First off, she LOOKED amazingly beautiful. I loved her hair, and you can actually see her pretty FRECKLES! She has gorgeous freckles, but they always put too much make up on her so you never see them. And her character was quite adorable – bitchy, but in the sort of way that’s actually really NOT bitchy on the inside. She was quite brutally honest, didn’t matter what people thought, she said exactly what was on her mind – and I loved that. =D Anyway, as you can see, it was mostly about Rani for me, but I assure you, the movie was good too. =)

Honestly, there haven’t been any good bolly films lately. The promos all look good, but the actual movie sucks. Action Replayy sucked beyond belief. And Tees Maar Khan was a disaster. I watched it because I thought it would be good, Farah and all, but it sucked. Another reason I watched it was for Katrina Kaif, but she was hardly in the movie. Farah is a good director, and she could have done great things with Katrina, but she wasted the opportunity. They BARELY mentioned Akshay Khanna in the promos, and HE was the star of the film, in my opinion. He was crazy and hilarious and completely adorable. And Kumar was just okay. And the story sucked. Or, the story had potential, but they just didn’t carry it out properly.

I was really, and I mean REALLY, excited for Break Ke Baad. The promos looked amazing and Imraan, for the first time, was sexy to me. (Actually, the first time he became sexy was in the title song of I Hate Luv Storys, but let’s not even get into how much of a disaster THAT movie was!) BKB wasn’t completely horrible, it was an okay movie. I have to watch it one more time to have a solid opinion, but whatever. I went into the theater already having formed a story for the movie, I thought it was going to be the way I thought about it in my head, based off the promos and wikipedia. But it played out totally different. So that was a big bummer. Oh, and that movie made me realize that I don’t like Deepika as an actress.

(Just remembered, Guzaarish was actually good! So watch that if you haven’t seen it!)

Next Movies: I’m not really looking forward to any movies that are already having promos shown. I’m looking forward to movies like Don 2, Dhoom 3, Dostana 2, and Munna Bhai Chale America. I saw the promos for Patiala House, seems okay, but I’m not even sure. I like Anushka Sharma, she’s really pretty, and she was great in Rab Ne. But her last movie? Band Baaja Baraat, it wasn’t really good. I didn’t even watch all of it, saw the beginning and the end. So just for her, I hope Patiala is good! OH! And I WAS looking forward to 7 Khoon Maaf with Priyanka – but the promo seemed really weird so now I’m having mixed feelings.

Hollywood: Last good movie I saw was Inception, Salt, and the latest Resident Evil (LOVE those series so much!). All 3 were super awesome. Other than that, I’ve been watching a movie almost every night with my sister on netflix. We’ve seen almost every movie with a good synopsis! But lol, more than half of those movies turned out to be complete rubbish!

Next Holly movie I’m looking forward to is The Tourist – even though it’s already out. I still haven’t seen it. lol And of course, the NEXT Resident Evil movie! 😀

(Whoa, SUPER LONG and whiney post! Sorry bout that! IF you managed to make it to the bottom, congrats! lol)

boo
      Participant

I agree there have been no good Bolly films lately. I actually *shudder* at the IHLS-BKB-etc phase. But yea, BKB was decent. Entertaining enough to watch once. Maybe twice on a laaaaaaazy Sunday.

But GUYS GUYS GUYS… go watch Dhobi Ghat!! NOT your typically Bollywood masala so don’t expect that – but it is REALLY good. Very artsy and intense and poetic in its own way. Loved it. Alie, somehow in the light of the whole Shantaram being awesome discovery, I think you will really enjoy it. Beautiful.

scarface
      Participant

watched night and day/day and night?? cant remember wat its called now, with Tom cruise, loved it
      theres this scene, where he pretends to kidnap June and he says
      **no one moves, or i will kill myself then her, mannnn I was rolling over laughing myself crazy… AM NOT A FAN OF TC but this movie rocked, oh and I loved him in tropic thunder as well.. also watched Tron but didnt really get the story coz the 3D effects buggered up my hearing…
      watched Tees mar khan…really wat a waste

and due date, LOVE LOVE LOVE RDJ, i adore him..even with all the wrinkles

wanted to watch guzaarish and Dhobi ghat ( boo saw features of it and yes I knw I will enjoy it, I actually whispered that to my sis, ***not the typical bolly movie, am sure this is going to be superb** unfortunately I was flying back to… here, so didnt get a chance yet, will ask my sis to send me the dvd when she gets it… want to watch srk’s – raa one or is it ra one?? and off coz am waiting really impatiently for the dvd of No one killed Jessica, cant wait, its coming tomorrow, so am sure to watch it tom night..
      wanted to watch
      the hangover and eat pray love —- read the book and loved it
      also want to watch a few movies I had missed ..red, resident evil ( my sis said it rocked) and I cant remember any of the other names now..
      my mum usually keeps me updated with the latest movies, both hollywood, and bollywood … now I watch whatevers here in my face… if am in the mood

but dooooo send through more recommendations guys

boo
      Participant

lol yes really watch Dhobi Ghat. In fact, I may go and watch it all over again because I don’t think one viewing is enough to appreciate all the poetry the film has to offer. It is just so wonderfully, sensitively made. I totally fell in love with it. Each character has so much to them, and at certain points it is so subtle – too subtle one might argue – that you have sooooooooooooo much fun just slowly and carefully unwrapping each of the layers of thoughts going on in your head. What a brilliant movie. Kiran Rao is definitely a babe to watch out for!!

scarface
      Participant

:))

Bolly_Lover
      Participant

Rani: I watched BKB a few weeks ago, and it was such a waste of time!! Personally, I can’t stand Deepika, she can’t act and has a pretty annoying voice. The only thing that prevented me from throwing my glass at the TV was the lovely riesling in it! I only watched it coz my friend wanted to watch it and we both think Imran’s a cutie! He kinda sucked in the movie too.. maybe it was just the movie overall..

Last movie i watched was “no strings attached” with ashton kutcher and natalie portman; I don’t recommend it! It was just way too predictable, and felt like it was trying too hard.

I’m so tired of crap movies; must watch a good movie next time, can’t be wasting time on stupid movies that just piss me off 😐

boo
      Participant

Watched Black Swan yesterday, loved it, but felt it was JUST A LITTLE BIT underdeveloped storyline. I wanted to see better, smoother transition from good Nina to bad Nina but oooh what a movie!

Aman – WATCH DHOBI GHAT! I don’t think you’ll be disappointed. But if y’are, ssshhh 😛 hehe

boo
      Participant

Also: just watched the trailer for Tanu Weds Manu and totally thought of you!! Looks ueber dueber cool – CANNOT WAIT! :mrgreen:

I daresay Kangana Ranaut will impress me in this movie. And ooooooh Madhavan. <3 <3 <3

Bolly_Lover
      Participant

Boo: I am very interested to see what Dhobi Ghat is about, and whether or not the hype is justified. Hopefully within the next week or so I’ll have a chance to check it out 🙂

Black Swan was a good movie and NP was absolutely great! Lol, I’m a chicken shit though and there were a few somewhat scary scenes. I had to cover my eyes lol.

boo
      Participant

HAHAHAHA you’re telling me! My friend next to me was laughing out loud because of the number of times I was jumping closing my eyes lmbo! I enjoyed the movie though. But I felt it could have flowed a lot more.. I think personally I felt the narrative was too jumpy. I would have liked a little more subtle nuances on how her mother was ruining her life and how she may have developed schizophrenia (I am diagnosing her with that… lol. I’m not sure what it actually is, but it’s definitely some form of delusion/paranoia). I felt like we were jumping in at the deep end a little bit and I wouldn’t have minded some intelligent cinematic navigation. Am I making any sense to anyone? 😕 lol. NP was awesome though, I loved her acting! The way she did the innocent roles were just too brilliant. More than the psychotic episodes, the innocent sweet scenes I felt required more effort and more conscious effort not to overplay and she did it BRILLIANTLY.

YES please watch DG. WHAT an amazing film. I can’t wait to buy it on DVD and analyse the crap out of it! <3 LOVE the film, and the more I think about it, the more I am falling in love with it. 🙂 Might even watch it a second time on the big screen… when I'm not feeling like being such a cheapskate or cheapstake or whatever it is lol.

And I just finished watching No Country For Old Men on my DVD rental and whooo. Interesting film. The beginning bored the shit out of me, and it took me 2/3 weeks to muster up the boredom and energy to finish the DVD. I’m glad I did, because it totally picked up pace afterwards. It got really gripping and interesting. But – and maybe it’s just me and I need to watch it again – why was this movie sooo amazing that it was Oscar-winning (I think? Or at least nominations.. there was definitely a lot of hoo ha about it though!) level? I kinda didn’t really feel it. It was a decent story, not brilliant and I didn’t think overly thought-provoking (yes, despite its content! Don’t want to say more as I don’t want to ruin it for others). Execution was well done. But I didn’t find it exceptional, I wasn’t blown away… 😕 Am I um, missing something here? Why is everyone in love with this movie?

Bolly_Lover
      Participant

Lol aw boo, I’m glad im not the only wimp ;). I usually cover my eyes and watch through the cracks between my fingers. I hate watching scaryish movies, they freak me out and make me a little paranoid! Last year I watched Shutter Island with shereena and my sister, and I’d say I had my eyes closed or covered for at least half of the movie. I want to watch movies like Silence of the Lambs, Psycho, or The Exorcist, but I don’t think I’d be able to get through them. Sucks, feels like I’m missing out!!

NCFOM, is that the one with Javier Bardem?? I’ve heard lots of good stuff bout it, but haven’t seen any trailers or anything.

I hoping to watch either Guzaarish or Dhobi Ghat next week, hope they are good as everyone says.

boo
      Participant

LOL yes Amaneyyyy we are wimps together <3

Shutter Island was MADNESS for me! I was the same!

DO watch Silence of the Lambs, it’s a fantastic, brilliant movie. It’s spine-chillingly tense the first time you watch it, but I promise after that (or so it was for me anyway), it wasn’t scary and it didn’t really give me any nightmares at all! It’s just so brilliant.

The Exorcist.. hmm I probably haven’t seen that. I think I might be confusing it with The Exorcism of Emily Rose hmmm 😕

You know what scared me? Well not scared but.. kinda disturbed? A Beautiful Mind… it was mindblowingly wow and whoa all at once! :O

Did you get to watch Guzaarish or DG? I watched Patiala House the other day.. not bad, it made me cry LMBO. Useless! I am currently in the process of watching Once Upon A Time in Mumbai.. it has really nice songs! Movie is not bad either 🙂

scarface
      Participant

shutter island confused me
      I think Nightmare on elm street is freakingly scary, well it was waaaaaayyyy back then, the oldddd movies
      the new one disappointed me, I truly wanted to be scared but was just irritated
      am trying to think of a movie, any movie that freaked me out….
      ***thinksssss*****

hmmmmmmmmmmmmm
      cant think of anything

I watched how to lose a guy in 10 days -its oldish …but am trying to catch up on movies I havent had a chance to watch
      didnt enjoy it, thought it was rather silly

also watched twelve, its not out on circuit, for some reason my friend had it on her computer ****oopsss***
      it has chase crawford **any gg fans here??????????*** the story line is good, drugs and teenagers and the effects of it bla bla but the acting was like watching one of those scary movie remakes …this being a scaryyyy movie remake of gossip girl
      i mean the characters there resembled blair, chuck and the rest of these guys

watched leap year, was as expected… but for some reason it gave me those goose bumps in the middle of the movie…
      I cant remember the lead guys name but he is shooooooo cutteeeeee in a roughishhh manishhhh sorta way.

RaNi iS ThE BeS
      Participant

SHUTTER ISLAND WAS AMAZING! I LOVED THAT MOVIE! The best part? I had it all figured out! I watched it with my sister and friends, and I’m all, “oh, he’s the missing patient!” And everyone is all, “Shut up, Rani. You’re stupid.” And they’re sitting there super confused, and in the end, I’m all, “IN YOUR FACES!” LMAO! I’m either psychic or have very good intuition – cuz I tend to figure out the mystery in movies/books/sometimesLIFE before everyone else. 😀

Aman ji: Yes, I know what you mean about BKB. I DO want to watch it again though, just have a fixed opinion. I’m weird like that, I have to watch something at least twice to have an unbiased opinion. 😀 And I don’t like Deepika either. I mean, she’s gorgeous and I guess she doesn’t act badly, but I don’t know, in this movie I realized I don’t like her as an actress. Imraan is not a bad actor, though – I think he sort of has a monotonous voice, though. He is cute, but for some reason I didn’t find him attractive. He seemed too boyish for my tastes – but my sister fell in love with the title song of I Hate Luv Storys (It pisses me off when they spell shit wrong – I don’t see the point) and she watched it over and over again until I fell in love with the song and was like, “Oh my, he is so sexy.” LOL

I liked Kites. I watched it 3 times. I absolutely loved it the 1st time. The 2nd time I saw it with my friend Haylie, and her commentary made it so much more enjoyable! In this once scene, she’s sitting there laughing and then someone dies suddenly, and her laughter dies so fast and turns into a scream that she sort of scared me! She grabbed me and hid her face in my shoulder! LMAO I couldn’t stop laughing! Anyway, the 3rd time I watched it, I was like blah – when is this gonna finish?

I also sort of saw ‘Drag Me to Hell.’ – I watched it at home with my sister and Haylie, and the only thing that made it enjoyable was Haylie’s commentary. She gets terrified while watching scary movies and the whole time, she was either grabbing my hand, or hiding her face in my lap, or screaming and going, “TURN THIS OFF!” while I’m sitting there laughing! So we ended up forwarding it to the end and Haylie was all, “I hate this movie. I hate you.” LOL

I can’t think of the last movie I saw… I watched Home Alone 3 with my little brother in the middle of the night and he fell asleep on my bed at 3 in the morning. 😀

I’m not excited for any movies. Or I can’t remember if I’m excited for any upcoming movies.

Bolly_Lover
      Participant

Boo: I found the exorcism of emily rose to be such a sad movie as it was based on true events. It’s unfortunate that the real “emily” was unable to get the care and treatment she needed, I wonder how things would have turned out if she was able to continue on her anti-psychotic medications..

Last movie I watched was “Patiala House” – I love Akshay and Anushka, the movie was pretty good, I rate it as a 7/10. I’m hoping to watch “7 Khoon Maaf” today if I can finish up some work beforehand. I’ve heard really good things about Priyanka’s acting in the movie!

boo
      Participant

OMG ME TOO! Well, hopefully, if plans work out! 🙄 We’ll both have to come back on here and report our findings :mrgreen:

I cannot believe Prinks (as I so fondly/not fondly call her) is getting GOOD reviews about her acting. I have not really found her in dazzling roles thus far. Partly her acting’s fault and to be fair to her, partly the movies she has been in. But still. Prinks is the one thing I am NOT looking forward to in this movie, but with an open mind I shall goooooooo :mrgreen:

I did not know the exorcism of Emily Rose was based on a real story, wow. That puts a whole new – scarier – twist on things. *shudder*

And oooh I watched Patiala House too! I enjoyed it, but it was not the same as Kal Ho Na Ho (director Nikhil Advani’s previous). The characters were only half-baked and hmmm. But still an enjoyable movie and LMBO I CRIED!!!! 🙄 Some things never change… 🙄

Bolly_Lover
      Participant

Hey Boo, did you end up watching “7KM”?

I gotta say it was a let down for me. The male characters weren’t sketched and their flaws weren’t presented properly. Also, the transition between the male characters was extremely poor and the plot wasn’t fully developed. I know the movies supposed is based on a short story, but if they had cut out a few of the male characters, I think the story would’ve been much better and they could’ve filled the gaps better. They could’ve focused more on Susanna’s personality, why she was like that, as well as giving more scope to the male leads and better portraying their relationship with Susanna.

I thought Priyanka played the part of a woman looking for love really well. The scene where she’s sitting in front of the mirror having a meltdown before killing husband #3 and the Russian roulette scene with her last husband stand out in my mind. But you have to wonder, did she never hear of “divorce”? I think they could’ve better explored her mental state as she was obviously suffering from sort of disorder.

Overall, I think I would rate the movie as a 4/10.

RaNi iS ThE BeS
      Participant

Aman, I wouldn’t even be able to rate the movie. It was so stupid. I sympathized with the men because their flaws weren’t properly mentioned and it just made Priyanka look like the bad person. Although Husband #…4? (Irfan Khan) was psycho – all that hitting was just like, “um, excuse me? Do I look like a punching bag to you?” I barely understood the movie, I did miss some bits, mostly after Irfan Khan, so that was part of the problem. But mostly, it was just very bad storytelling and directing. The acting was fine – I liked John’s acting when he was on the bed… (spoiler so won’t say more) – and Priyanka was fine too. I really adore Priyanka as an actress, especially after Aitraaz and Don, she’s a great actress – but this movie was just really bad.

Poor John. Why in the world did she kill him? The poor guy needed HELP! Which she refused to give him, because, “I can’t leave him alone.” – Oh shut up! He doesn’t need YOU, he needs a DOCTOR you crazy lady! And while you’re at it, please go to a doctor yourself. But Aman, I agree with you about the divorce part and that Priyanka had some disorder. I would have sympathized with her a lot more if they portrayed her properly, but they didn’t. They just made her seem really crazy. And not even the I-need-help kind of crazy, more like a serial killer crazy – although they need help as well, but you know what I mean! It’s just that, I didn’t feel the man were doing something THAT wrong that she had to go and kill them all. Divorce would be pretty much the choice right there. I mean, you shouldn’t be killing anyone unless you need to defend yourself – which is why I could kind of understand the Irfan Khan part, but even that, not really. I mean you don’t go to kill anyone unless you’re like… provoked. Have you guys seen that movie? With Aishwarya Rai? Amazing movie, I loved it – if only 7khoon was portrayed in the same way – then maybe… And Naseerudin Shah – I didn’t even KNOW what he did! LOL Okay, maybe I should watch the movie again and pay better attention, but all I saw were like.. apples or some fruit in some cartons and then bam, she’s after him to kill him? :/

And the ending? WHAT? Just WHAT? WERE THEY THINKING?

Okay, I’m taking this way too much to heart – so I’ll shut up now.

boo
      Participant

hahahaha GUYSSSS I LOVED this movie! lol sigh! Will be back later to write a more detailed review, I agree with the lack of development of Prinks’ character but this movie completely wowed me. I was actually sympathising with her character, and I will explain why later (sorryyyy!). I loved the ending. Though I’m confused as to what happened. But Vishal Bhardwaj did an awesome job with this!

Bolly_Lover
      Participant

**SPOILERS**

Rani – I agree, this was completely Priyanka’s movie, she did a really good job. I think some of the male leads did a good job with the limited scope they had, like John in the bed scene as you mentioned, Annu Kapoor and Irfan Khan I thought did a nice job as well, and NNM wasn’t too bad.

Oddly enough I sympathized with Priyanka’s character as well.. I think that is what was intended by the director/writers etc. Maybe because it was told through the eyes of a character that adored her?? Despite the fact she killed so many people, I actually felt bad for her and her suffering, and wanted her to find her true love and companion.

One thing I liked about the movie was that it wasn’t gory or filled with violence as I was expecting it to be it. It was actually a bit comical and humorous.. I really think that movie could’ve been much, much better if the plot was more developed and the characters well defined.

RaNi iS ThE BeS
      Participant

–Spoiler alert–

Thanks Aman, I forgot to do a spoiler alert! :/ Priyanka was fabulous as always, It wasn’t the actors’ fault, they were all great. I think it was the people behind the camera. And I personally dislike movies/images in which the screen or whatever is dark, or unclear. Like in Kaminey, that Dhan Te Nan song was shot in such a way that everything wasn’t completely visible – which is something I personally don’t like. And some of 7Khoon was shot in a similar manner, like the night scenes. Also, I DID miss a great portion of the movie – I just watched the trailer on youtube and noticed that I didn’t see most of the scenes shown on there. So I do have to rewatch the movie to have an unbiased opinion – but nothing about the movie is making me WANT to watch it again. Well, except for Konkona? I love her.

Oh and Aman, I don’t mind gory – I just needed the plot to be more developed and the characters well defined, like you said. If that had been present in the film, anything else I disliked (like the night/unclear shots) would just have fallen into the background.

boo
      Participant

Spoiler alert – 7 Khoon Maaf and Silence of the Lambs

Prinks’ innocence and the way she carried herself throughout the movie totally made me sympathise with her. I have never really warmed to her as an actress until this movie actually. It was completely her movie and very deserving of a national award.

Someone pointed out – she was a Catholic – so divorcing/leaving her husband isn’t really possible. And apparently, a sin such as murder is ‘forgiven’ of some sort through confession. There’s some real food for thought her. Oh God that ominous clanging of the church bells (‘Never send to know for whom the bell tolls, it tolls for thee’.. does anyone know any connotations with regards to the bell tolling?), still gives me shivers, absolutely beautiful.

I think the killing not being justified in the film sort of adds to the crazy sociopath mystique in Priyanka’s character. She wasn’t one for rationale or logic, or looking at things differently. She was pure and completely crazy, and that was the driving factor behind her killings. Even with characters like Jame Gumb in The Silence of the Lambs, it is his mental illness that causes him to do such awful awful cruel things to those women. Prinks has no obvious mental illness, no delusions or paranoia or obsessions/compulsions (… unless you count killing her husbands as an obsession!). She had just – somewhere along the line – lost it when it comes to husbands. Note that her moral character is still ‘intact’ in the rest of the sense. Or at least, within the realms of “human comprehension” – e.g. having sex with the policeman to make him forget the case – and holy %^&* how BRILLIANTLY that was shot! – or torturing John Abraham when he becomes addicted to drugs. Not humane things to do by any stretch of imagination, but you can understand that moral compasses float in all sorts of directions. So there was some crazy, irrational, inexplicable thing that makes her kill her husbands if they go against her.

Perhaps it all started with her first husband. I LOVED Neil Nitin Mukesh. What brilliant acting. What brilliant DIRECTING in that part! The way he oppressed her, abused her, felt jealousy and spite towards her beauty… all that stomping down on her finally took a toll on her, and maybe that’s when she decided nothing and no one would come in her way in life? Her parents’ death must have affected her too – at a young age as well, especially her mother’s. I remember the narrator saying how black suited Prinks well from the day of her father’s funeral. How she had ‘gone over to the dark side’ on her father’s funeral. So maybe that was an important catalyst in making her the way she was.

I agree a little bit more of development would have been good but in all honesty, I loved that we were left to pick up the pieces of the puzzle ourselves. I love that I forgot everything and was completely transported into her world.

Also, the ending was very neat. It made sense as well. Very clever work with the trailers too.

Bolly_Lover
      Participant

— SPOILERS–

I admit there were some elements of the movie that I enjoyed, but I still think the plot was way under-developed. It wasn’t about putting pieces of the puzzle together, it was the little things, like the transitions, or poorly defined characters.

I didn’t even think about her being catholic and thus not wanting to divorce. However, if that is why she killed her husbands instead, I gotta say, her moral compass was way off! Religious or not, I think most people would agree that killing is a graver sin than getting a divorce.

While Sussanna wasn’t suffering from an obvious psychotic disorder, I do think she must have had some sort of mental illness. I can see some signs of antisocial personality disorder mixed with maybe a bit of depression. I wonder if the short story it’s based on can provide more clues..

Next movie I want to see is “Tanu Weds Manu,” the trailers look really good 🙂

boo
      Participant

Have you seen TWM yet? Not sure how it’s faring?

RaNi iS ThE BeS
      Participant

SPOILER ALERT FOR ALL MOVIES LISTED BELOW

Tanu Weds Manu: I wasn’t a huge fan of the movie. It was an okay movie, with an interesting plot. Only thing was, it reminded me too much of Socha Na Tha, a movie I really liked for its interesting plot and it was WAY better than Tanu Weds Manu. It was missing something. Or missing a lot. Some scenes were unconventional, like Tanu sleeping through the first meeting and I loved it, found it really hilarious and loved that he wanted to marry her anyway (although I don’t believe in love at first sight) – even though it WAS a little creepy that he would pick an unconscious girl to marry, but maybe that’s why it was so funny, so whatever. =D But the entire story wasn’t executed properly, it kind of dragged and was boring some of the times, and I didn’t like the ending.

But the acting was good. I normally don’t like Kangana Raunat. Nothing against her personally, of course – I just don’t like her voice and didn’t think much of her as an actress. It’s kind of annoying. But I do like her natural hair (and her name!), it’s beautiful. Anyway, I loved her in this movie. The confidence she displayed in this movie was quite stunning. Her body language was intense – like she knew I didn’t like her, and she was giving me a big F you and flaunting herself just to piss me off (LOL), and looking extremely gorgeous the entire time. In that train scene, with the singing, the way she was sitting, eating those chips (or w/e) and looking at Madhavan – she looked absolutely stunning. Her posture, her grace, her confidence, the intensity in her eyes were so compelling that if I were in that train with her, I wouldn’t be able to stop staring. But what really had me rethinking me opinion of Kangana (as an actress) was her performance to the Kajra Mohabbat Wala song. But more on that later. So I guess this is the movie that turned me into a fan of Kangana, although I still don’t like her voice. =D Madhavan was good. I didn’t see anything that made me go, OMG LOOK AT HIM ACT, but he was fine. Although I did not like his emotional acting scene in the car with Kangana when he was telling her he loved her. Seemed very awkward. Oh, and the character Kangana played? Tanu? I didn’t like her rebellious attitude. I mean, her attitude was fine – heck, I’m like her sometimes, wanting to do something just because my parents don’t want me to do it even if I don’t have any interest in doing whatever it is personally – but I’m just kind of tired of it being portrayed in movies, although I don’t remember the last movie that kind of attitude was in. Or maybe I’m so used to that attitude around me (or in me) that I’ve grown tired of it and was exasperated to see it in the movie? Whatever it was, her attitude had me telling the tv to shut up. Anyway, I also didn’t like the ending of the movie. Jimmy (who I liked in the movie) comes in and says he’s gonna shoot everyone and then just doesn’t? Meh. Having him change his mind just seemed like such an easy way out (to finish the movie). I wanted to see Jimmy as a full on out bad guy – HAVE him shoot everyone! That would have been awesome! Jimmy had potential, but they wasted it. I DID love Manu talking Tanu’s parents in to letting her marrying Jimmy’s character. That was very sweet and the romantic in me loved it. BUT, I wish they had left it at that – had her marry Jimmy’s character and let her think ‘what if’ her whole life and have Manu go off to London. Just do something different! The ending was very typical. OR not have Jimmy’s character in the movie at all!

Anyway, on to THE ABSOLUTE BEST PART ABOUT THE MOVIE!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_DYZaTvtrTw

Every single thing about this video is absolutely endearing and perfect and I love it to death. I LOVE it when old songs are played in recent movies and danced to – and they did SUCH a great job with this, they even played a long version of it and NOT just two lines of the song! And I LOVE that song too! And have I ever mentioned that I LOVE it when girls dress up and dance with their friends, one enacting the guy and the other a girl? Cuz I do! And I’ve done it myself tons of times and it’s so much fun! So I love everything about this scene, and yes, I am seriously going to list all of those things:

• Kangana.
      • That Tanu comes in and hugs Manu in front of everyone.
      • The way Kangana says ‘Darling Type.’
      • The way Kangana fixes her dress when she says Kanpuriya dance’ – just her entire body language and her confidence, and managing to look utterly adorable!
      • The way Madhavan looks at Kangana the entire time, all lovesick puppy.
      • The dance steps – but mainly, the way Kangana performs those steps.
      • That Kangana switches from being the ‘girl’ to being the ‘guy.’
      • The bride’s pink dress.
      • The way the groom looks at the bride, kind of sleazy, but still cute! haha!
      • The way Kangana runs up to the bride, throws her hand over her, and sings the song. (Starts at 2:22 in the video.)
      • The little hand holding/moving then twirling step that starts at 2:28. I LOVE the way Kangana does it – her relaxed posture, and the way she twirls the bride in that confident flick of her hand and her facial expressions! Then that bending over backwards dance step she does, it’s awesome! And then that dance step from 2:44 to 2:49 is amazing. Such a simple move that makes her look so energetic. And I LOVE LOVE LOVE her facial expressions through out it. She’s so comfortable in her skin and brining forth a man’s facial expressions, yet looking so much like a girl. It’s brilliant.
      • I love that she flicks at her earring during the earring lyrics part. =D
      • I love when she takes off her tied scarf (love the way it’s tied, btw) to run off to Madhavan and get him to dance. A cute little transition from ‘guy’ to ‘girl!’
      • I love that Madhavan just stands there while she dances around him, and his cute little smile (I found him hot in this song when I normally don’t think much about his looks!), and her expression when he turns around to leave, like ‘hey, don’t go!’ and then she just continues to dance like she couldn’t care less and is having fun all by herself!
      • When Manu’s guy friend pulls him back up to dance and his friend sings the girl’s part and is all touchy-feely! I kind of love it when men play-act being all gay – it’s hilarious {and hot on a hot guy (yes, I’m weird, shut up)}. Especially cuz his friend is acting SO sleazy and dirty!
      • Kangana CATCHES him when his friend pushes him towards her! I was a little amazed! LOL
      • The entire dance she does from 3:40 to 3:55 – it ranges from sexy, to cute, to playful, to angry, to flirty, and then downright funny! And I like that she was standing so that her back was facing him and she was looking over her shoulder at him and he was looking down at her – so CUTE! *squeals!* =D
      • That shocked face he makes when she sort of slaps him and how it lasts for a few seconds and then transforms into a totally cute, lovesick smile! Madhavan was totally hot right there! Not to mention he was wearing black and something that would have almost been a pathani salwaar if only the pants were loose instead of tight! Pathani outfits are so hot on men.
      • I like that Manu didn’t dance the entire time, staying true to his confession of not knowing how to dance.

Anyway, I think that’s it? So overall, I’d rate the movie a 2/5 – and it’s getting that 2 because of the scene/song described above.

(I had more movies to talk about but this one was so long and it’s late, so I’m gonna leave it at that for now)

Bolly_Lover
      Participant

Okay, so I finally watched “Dhobi Ghat” and I absolutely loved it! It’s great to see BWood turning out some good quality movies. It was such a beautiful movie, the characters were subtle and restrained but there was something about them that made them so relatable and it felt like in a way, they could be anyone I know, with their little idiosyncrasies and their personalities. I feel like watching it all over again!!

Oh and I also watched “Fast Five” recently, movie was decent. I watched it in IMAX, and that always makes the experience more exciting. I give it a 5/10 overall. Vin diesel is getting old.. The Rock was huggeee!! Pumpin those roids like a monkey!

Next: I’m looking forward to “Zindagi Na Milegi Doobara” 🙂

boo
      Participant

@Bolly_Lover wrote:

Okay, so I finally watched “Dhobi Ghat” and I absolutely loved it! It’s great to see BWood turning out some good quality movies. It was such a beautiful movie, the characters were subtle and restrained but there was something about them that made them so relatable and it felt like in a way, they could be anyone I know, with their little idiosyncrasies and their personalities. I feel like watching it all over again!!

YAY!!!!!!!!!!!

Bolly_Lover
      Participant

YAY!!!!

boo
      Participant

So glad you liked Dhobi Ghat, I must remember to buy the DVD at some point…

I have seen NO movies of late. I watched Fashion yesterday, caught like the last 1.5 hours of it. It’s a very very good film. I first watched it on in-flight entertainment and so I kinda basically missed the whole PLOT of the movie… 🙄 .. so when I was watching it with my sister yesterday, she had to explain the whole thing to me LOL. <3 Really enjoyed the movie, Priyanka ACTUALLY acted well, um, WHOA? :mrgreen:

Bolly_Lover
      Participant

I haven’t seen any movies in the past little while either. The last movie I watched was Dhobi Ghat.

Fashion was a good movie, I enjoyed it. I loved Kangana and Priyanka, I think they did a fantastic job in the movie. It was a different and refreshing concept :).

I wanna see Bridesmaids next I think.

boo
      Participant

I part-watched a movie called Angel in the Family… a Christmas tale about a long-dead mother returning back to life to spend one last Christmas with her family and ‘make everything right’ and it’s so sweet and touching and cheesy and lovely and cute. I’m all happy now!

Bolly_Lover
      Participant

I watched “Something Borrowed” today; it was a nice “chick-flick”. I’m curious about the books now, maybe a good summer read? I absolutely loveee Ginnifer Goodwin, loved her since “Mona Lisa Smile”.

Bolly_Lover
      Participant

I watched “Something Borrowed” today; it was a nice “chick-flick”. I’m curious about the books now, maybe a good summer read? I absolutely loveee Ginnifer Goodwin, loved her since “Mona Lisa Smile”.

boo
      Participant

Ooh ain’t seen that. But I saw Life in a Metro. Again. It’s a lovely film and when I have that urge to ponder life and relationships, it is definitely DEFINITELY one of my go-tos. Along with Love Actually (for a more light-hearted view), Dhobi Ghat, Before Sunrise, Before Sunset… and hmm, there are so many more, I just can’t think of them! Salaam-E-Ishq can KIND of work, but it’s too masala ish maybe.

Bolly_Lover
      Participant

I have a list of movies that I like watching whenever I feel like taking a break from everything: When Harry Met Sally, Maine Pyar Kiya, Mona Lisa Smile, The Devil Wears Prada, and so many more.. I need a break soon I think. Wish I could have a day to do nothing but watch movies and sleep. Maybe that would help me get over this stupid cold.. I find that if I don’t sleep properly for a couple weeks and work or study for too long, my immune system decides it must teach me a lesson by allowing evil organisms to proliferate, resulting in a terribly sore throat, a nagging cough, and a pounding headache. Gahh.. hate being sick.

boo
      Participant

@Bolly_Lover wrote:

I find that if I don’t sleep properly for a couple weeks and work or study for too long, my immune system decides it must teach me a lesson by allowing evil organisms to proliferate, resulting in a terribly sore throat, a nagging cough, and a pounding headache. Gahh.. hate being sick.

Firstly – you better be wrapping up warm and getting better soon!!! 🙁 Hot drinks and leave a well-loved movie on in the background and study (that’s how I watched Life in a Metro), it makes it more bearable. 🙂

And I TOTALLY know what you mean. Round exam time, my biggest fear is not that I don’t know the answers (I NEVER know the answers so it’s kinda… stopped being a fear, now it’s just a general habit…ment. Lmao. UP would kill me if she sees this, and she’d tell me to get back to work. :mrgreen: ), but that I will GET ILL 👿 and I DID 👿 Now I’m regretting ever having gotten ill as it chopped off 4 out of the 10-odd days I had to study!! ARGH 👿 And I think I’ve got another infection coming now, I can just feeeeeel it but I’m hoping to avoid facing it until tomorrow when the bulk of the exams are over.

Wish me luck guys! 🙁

Bolly_Lover
      Participant

Unfortunately, no sitting and watching movies for me just yet. I’ll be heading in to work in a few hours.. it’s gonna be a long night.

Lol, I’m sure you know more than you think boo, give yourself some credit. After hours of studying, some knowledge is bound to seep in! 😉 . Good luck with your exams hun, I’m sure you will do just great. Drink lots of fluids, and wash your hands!

Bolly_Lover
      Participant

I saw Bridesmaids the other night, an effin hilarious movie! I loved it. Just thinking about some scenes from the movie makes me laugh now. It was like the female version of Hangover. I recommend this movie to anyone who needs a good laugh!

Btw Boo, Sookie from Gilmore Girls is in the movie! She was great 🙂

Bolly_Lover
      Participant

So I saw “Delhi Belly” the other night. Do not recommend watching this movie with your parents – it will result in some awkward and embarrassing moments.

Bolly_Lover
      Participant

Some of the scenes in the movie were shocking (as it is still a “bollywood” movie), and its understandable why it was given an “A” (adults only) certificate. And while personally I think it could’ve been dialed down a little, I think it’s the artists/directors/crews/etc. vision and I respect it for what it is. It was a refreshing, but not groundbreaking movie.

boo
      Participant

The first 45 minutes or so of Delhi Belly I watched was a laugh riot and I loved it for that! How the content is handled is a lot more important than the obscene/vulgar nature of the content, IMO. It seemed to be handled well. Cannot wait for the DVD so I can watch the whole thing – hopefully uninterrupted. 😛

I watched Tere Sang today. An old ish Bollywood movie about teenage pregnancy. It was actually decently handled and made, I enjoyed it far more than I thought I would. Has anyone else seen it?

Bolly_Lover
      Participant

No Boo, I havent seen that movie, but I heard good stuff about it. Haven’t decided if I want to watch it or not? your thoughts?

boo
      Participant

Aman, I’d say it was one of those time pass movies. I might buy the DVD cos it was cute. If you are bored and in the mood, I’d say watch it, but don’t expect anything major and you might find yourself pleasantly surprised.

I really want to watch One Day. Slash read the book first.

And I watched Aarakshan of late, has anyone else seen it? The movie was handled really well, it is an important movie which needed to be made. Good acting, tight script, kind of cheesy Bollywood ending in the end, decent songs (Achha Lagta Hai totally sticks with you!), important message but non-preacy in nature – well worth a watch!

RaNi iS ThE BeS
      Participant

I’m really looking forward to Mausam, Don 2, and Ek Tha Tiger.

Don 2 is undoubtably going to be amazing (if not, I’ll be quite shattered.)

Mausam looks like it has a lot of potential, but I wouldn’t be surprised if it didn’t work. But I’m hoping it does!

Ek Tha Tiger is going to be awesome! I can feel it! And I’m so excited for it that I don’t even care if it sucks, I’m still excited! =D

Bolly_Lover
      Participant

The only movie I’m looking forward to Mausum! I love the songs, especially “Rabba Main to Mar Gaya” and “Ik Tu Hi Tu Hi”

scarface
      Participant

last movie- was final destination 5- it wasnt as grossly bloody as the last 2 but for some reason I was feeling claustrophobic and wanted to puke when the movie was over… :mrgreen:

watched patiala house and action replay, loved both
      cant even remember the recent bollywood movie I watched, been catching up on movies like
      *thanks ma, I am kalam ..etc.. love watching movies that depict indians without the glamour

looking foward to mausam, bodygaurd, raa one

cristinajohn
      Participant

Last movie i saw was Force. I was hoping that it would be nice movie. But not much good as i expect. Its average one time watch movie. Now i am waiting for agneepath and rockstar to release.

kenrickdacre
      Participant

I have seen many bollywood movies. My last movie which I have watch Bodyguard and it is amazing movie. Salman had done fantastic job in this movie and I am waiting for “Dhoom 3”.

Bolly_Lover
      Participant

Last movie I watched was “Daag,” the old version with Rajesh Khanna, Sharmila Tagore, and Rakhi. Always awesome to re-watch a classic :). Not really sure what movies will be coming out in the next couple months, so not looking forward to anything in particular.

Bolly_Lover
      Participant

So I’ve been in a old movie phase for the last little while. Watched “Kati Patang” last night, and just re-watched “Amar Prem” (thank you YouTube!). The end never fails to get me bawling. I think this movie was able to effectively juxtapose the so called respectable society with the social outcasts. It displayed the hypocrisy of society, how people are judged based on things like their profession, their position, their class, etc., but fail to really understand that all this can be superceded by personal connections and emotions. I love Sharmila Tagore in this movie, think it was one of her finest performances. Her feelings can be conveyed through a single glance, her pain can be felt through her unsaid words. Also, the songs in this movie are simply outstanding. The despair and loneliness is palpable in “Chingari Koi Bhadke,” and the injustices hurtled by society can be felt in “Kuch Toh Log Kahenge”.

It was great to finally watch a few GOOD movies. Sometimes I get tired of watching fluff movies that seem to be coming out with more regularity. It was nice to watch one that really tugs at the heartstrings and makes you think.

Bolly_Lover
      Participant

Okay, so I heard a lot of good stuff about the movie “Love, Sex, aur Dhoka” but was didn’t think it was my type of movie. I thought it would be a typical sleazy Bollywood movie, with a poor screenplay, sub-par acting, and full of “item songs” or raunchy videos. Boy was I wrong! This movie just proves that one should never judge a book by its cover, or a movie by its title!

If you enjoy different-ish Bwood movies, something that hasn’t been seen or tried before, I recommend this movie. The story is surprisingly very engrossing, and all the characters feel real and relatable. I was surprised by how much I enjoyed this movie, and glad I didn’t miss out on it. 🙂

Bolly_Lover
      Participant

So I watched Bodyguard yesterday. What a waste of time! The story had so many holes, several songs felt out of place, the acting wasn’t anything special. Overall, the movie left me frustrated and unimpressed.

I do not recommend this movie!!

boo
      Participant

Hah, Aman, we WALKED OUT OF BODYGUARD AT INTERVAL – it was THAT awful. Apparently the south Indian versions are better, I have been told! Nice songs, though! Oh well.

Bolly_Lover
      Participant

Smart move Boo. That is what I should’ve done. Instead I wasted 2 n half h ours of my life.

Are there any movies you are looking forward to? I haven’t seen any trailers or heard about any movies that really excite me.

Bolly_Lover
      Participant

Watched Bad Teacher a few nights ago… Bad Movie.

Looking forward to The Dirty Picture – love Vidya Balan. My mom’s in India, and she watched it the other day.

I want to watch a movie in India… I’m curious about the atmosphere I suppose.

I also want to go clubbing in India.. I wonder if the DJs play Indian/Bollywood music (or pun music in Punjab). I’m also curious about the drink specials.. Mango lassi vodka? Bailey’s and masala chai? :S Lol that would be interesting!!!!

ammyrodrics
      Participant

Last movie that I saw was twilight Saga Breaking dawn and now i am looking forward to watch Mission impossible..

boo
      Participant

@Bolly_Lover wrote:

I also want to go clubbing in India.. I wonder if the DJs play Indian/Bollywood music (or pun music in Punjab). I’m also curious about the drink specials.. Mango lassi vodka? Bailey’s and masala chai? :S Lol that would be interesting!!!!

hahahaha that cracked me up!!! I know drinks in metropolitan cities are EXPENSIVE (take it from a tried-and-tested-visiting-Mumbaikar)… if you want something good that is. not sure about the ‘desi daaru’.. always been meaning to try it 🙂 🙂

i have been told there’s a lot of Bollywood, which just excites me as nothing can keep me away from desi food and desi dancing 😀

oh, and to keep on topic – BOL IS FANTASTIC. A MUST WATCH. AND I ONLY WATCHED THE PG-IN-FLIGHT-VERSION! It is so horrible and so painful and you feel actual hatred towards some of the characters then you look back and think, oh wow… is this movie THAT GOOD that i got into all that?! It is so beautiful. I can’t even say any more than that, except it was a movie that needed to be made and is an important story to be told! 🙁

Bolly_Lover
      Participant

What’s “expensive” Boo? I can’t imagine a single drink being more than 500 rupees, which is roughly 11 Canadian dollars. Wish I had cousins or family in India that partied… wait I think I do *-). Must gather more info on this topic!

I would actually be a bit nervous to try Indian moonshine, who the frack knows what’s in there lol.

I checked out Bol on wiki, and it sounds interesting, it sounds like my type of movie.

The last movie I watched was Maine Pyar Kiya. OMFG, I had completely forgotten how wonderful this movie is. It was really nice to revisit a classic. Lol watching it made me feel all happy and giddy 🙂

boo
      Participant

BL: aaaahhhhh I’ve been SEARCHING for this post amidst the SEA of “$&^%(*&(*&^%^ spam!!! Maine Pyaar Kiya oh my DAYS what an angel of a movie. I miss it.

I can’t remember the exact prices now (for the quantities had), but I think I remember a cosmopolitan costing around INR 1500 or so. I remember thinking, meh, you only live once 😛 lol. I think it can vary. I am equally curious to check out the party scene in India, from what I’ve read on other forums if you go to the right place without the weirdos, the are far more ‘forward’ and ‘Westernised’ than the West itself :O Teehee, did you manage to investigate more around the topic of your friends/family in India? 😀

Last Bollywood movie I saw – KAHAANI OHMYGODWOW. GO WATCH IT if you haven’t already. The film is stunning, I really really enjoyed the storyline and the scripting and the contrasts and parallels with Vidya’s story (kahaani) and the backdrop of Durga Pujo and the way they shot Calcutta wow! The acting was wonderful by Vidya Balan, I have fallen in love all the more with her after this movie. Thank goodness some of the women in Bollywood are at least doing substantial and equally sexy roles. The supporting cast were all also excellent. The direction was EXCELLENT, the director really knows how to narrate and show a story to his audience… Sujoy Ghosh I think he is called? Hmm… a name to watch out for, definitely!

Hollywood – Valentine’s Day LOL. I rented it because I needed mush to take my mind of work. 😛 It was alright, nothing overly brilliant but nothing too dull either.

BTW, have you been watching any more episodes of Modern Family? Was it you I was discussing it with, the JOYS and WONDERS of Modern Family? I absolutely LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE the show! <3

Bolly_Lover
      Participant

Wowzers, that is pretty steep for a drink. Nearly 30 CDN!! The most I’ve spent is $15.00 on a Long Island Ice Tea, and I didn’t notice a big taste difference btwn the premium and regular stuff. That is what I’ve heard as well, that some places are a bit dodgy, whereas certain areas in other cities are way more “westernized” as you put it lol. I will be continuing my investigations this weekend when my cousins are visiting and will post if there is anything new to report :p

Last BWood movie I watched was The Dirty Picture – I thought it was brilliant. It made me laugh and it made me cry. I absolutely love Vidya Balan, she is amazing, such a chameleon/versatile actress. I am looking forward to watching Kahaani, the promos looked good and promising.

Hwood – Hunger Games. Must admit, I was pretty disappointed. The movie was a let down compared to the novels. That is one of the biggest problems I notice when a book is made into a movie (there are some exceptions: HP of course! Devil Wears Prada, Shutter Island, etc.) I guess there were just too much good stuff that had to be cut out in order to make the film a decent length.

Modern Family… i freaking love that show!! Haven’t seen the recent episodes, last one I watched was season 3 episode 17 I believe (the one where Mitchell and Cameron make a big decision for their family (no spoilers in case you haven’t seen it)). One of the best shows on TV!!

boo
      Participant

Aman – you managed to watch Kahaani yet? It is AWESOME <3

Also, last movie = Inglorious B-ds. Yes, a little slow on the uptake I know but wow. The movie actually has Quentin written all over it, albeit in a toned down, more subtle way. Was a little disappointed with the ending though. I expected something that would leave ‘bamBOOM!’ expression on me. Instead I was just left craving for… that extra oomph. Not to say the crazy ending in the film was not crazy enough, it was really good. But still.

Last Bollywood – sigh. I can’t even remember. 🙁

Bolly_Lover
      Participant

I unfortunately haven’t had a chance to watch Kahaani yet 🙁 I was hoping to watch it last week, but I’ve been pretty busy, and it’s easier to watch movies that don’t require my full attention, are fluff movies, and aren’t super long. I have it on my phone, but I’d much rather watch on the TV or at least my laptop – not a tiny screen. I love VB, and think this movie probably deserves more attention.

Last movie I watched was The Way We Were, yes an oldie, Barbra Streisand is great, love her in the movie.

It’s sad but I also don’t remember the last BWood movie I watched – I find that I haven’t been keeping up with the latest movies and many of the newer movies aren’t very appealing to me.

boo
      Participant

@Bolly_Lover wrote:

It’s sad but I also don’t remember the last BWood movie I watched – I find that I haven’t been keeping up with the latest movies and many of the newer movies aren’t very appealing to me.

Me too. Having said that…
      1) ISHAQZAADE. Haven’t seen it yet but whoa it looks good and I think I like Parineeti Chopra better than Prinks… Prinks has fat lips, eww! 😛
      2) Karishma Kapoor’s new movie. Yes it looks a bit crap and B-grade but it’s Karishma Kapoor and I will pay any amount of money to make this a box office success so that we can see more of Karishma on the big screen. Much prefer her natural grace to Bebo’s. Tu Hi Rab Tu Hi Dua is a nice, addictive tune!
      3) Is Madhuri Dixit doing a new movie?

ALL MY FAVOURITE 90s ACTRESSES COMING BACK YAY. Now for Kajol to sign up for a goshdarned film. :mrgreen:

Bolly_Lover
      Participant

So finally watched Kahaani. I absolutely looovvveee Vidya Balan, and really enjoy her movies. There were a few twists and turns, and the ending was very surprising/unexpected. The movie ran at a decent pace, didn’t feel like it was dragging. Btw, I don’t know who that creepy killer guy was, but for some reason he made me laugh. I don’t know if it was his looks, his acting, and the fact that he was supposed to be a hitman?? Anyways, overall, I give the movie a 8.5/10, and VB gets a 10/10 🙂 Watch the movie peepz!!

boo
      Participant

YES. Indeed. 🙂 Bob scared the life out of me Aman, whatchu on about! 😛

Bolly_Lover
      Participant

Haha, his name was Bob? Dude, that is even more hilarious! Don’t know how I forgot that..

Last movie I watched was “Teri Meri Kahani”
      Pretty average. I preferred the two older stories (especially the one set in the sixties) over the newer story. I thought Shahid was super cute, and looked damn fine. Priyanka was decent. I only liked one or two songs from the film – I think one was sung by Rahat Fateh Ali Khan. Ovearll, I rate the movie a 6.5/10. It’s definitely not a “must watch” in my opinion. Watch it if you have the time, or if you are a Shahid Kapoor fan.

Next movie I want to watch = Batman: The Dark Knight Rises.

Btw, super sad what happened in Colorado. So many innocent lives lost and families destroyed. Glad they were able to catch the perpetrator, reading the news about how his house was booby-trapped is pretty freaky. Seems to have a legit mental problem. Hope he can get the help he needs. Will be interesting to see how this case plays out, and what the verdict is.

boo
      Participant

I enjoyed TMK. It was just what I needed at the right time – a whole lot of Bollywood-ishtyle flirting and mush! Really want to watch TDKR.

Have you seen this article?

http://www.theonion.com/articles/sadly-nation-knows-exactly-how-colorado-shootings,28857/

Sad times. It is awful indeed. Especially as they were doing something so innocent and with fun intentions such as going to the films. No one ever thinks that that will be the last time they are going to see their loved ones. 🙁 RIP.

scarface
      Participant

my last movie….bollywood, I think it was teri meri kahaani with Shaaahiddddd..
      *faints** doesnt he look super freaking hottilicious in the 1910 version..my word…I think I drooled

I didnt like the current phase of the triangle, I preferred, the 1960 and 1910 ?? if Am not mistaken with the dates

I also watched and loved Kahaani and agree, that hired killer dude was hillarious ..made me laugh like craze, coz it was so out of context, not exactly your normal character…

I really cant wait for talaash?? or is it out yet?? Have been burried in my books lately…anything that has Rani in it

hollywood….
      watched the rebooted Spider man
      thought I wouldnt like it much but enjoyed it
      a fresh take on the whole toby maguire dumb look

Did anyone watch 3 ?? its a tamil movie .. really stays with u for a longgggggggggggggggg time after u have watched it

looking forward to step up and some other movies, names I cant remember now 😛

Bolly_Lover
      Participant

Last movie I watched was Ishaqzaade, was decent. I really liked Parineeti Chopra, she’s a good actress. They new guy (forgot his name) was decent as well. It had a sad ending, which I didnt like lol. I’d give it a 6.75/10.

Next movie I want to watch is Barfi. Man, I am so behind on movies 🙁

RaNi iS ThE BeS
      Participant

SPOILERS WILL BE WRITTEN IN A PALE YELLOW COLOR, HIGHLIGHT TO READ SPOILERS.

So I just watched Barfi! today and I HAVE TOO MANY EMOTIONS AND EVERYONE NEEDS TO WATCH THIS MOVIE.

Warning: I’m biased. I have this thing where I don’t always know if I like a movie the first time I watch it. I need to watch it at least two times before I can really make a decision. I often find myself not liking a movie the first time around and then liking it the second time around. Happened with I Hate Luv Storys (that’s how they spelled it, right? Sheesh, I never thought I’d have to memorize bad spelling). And sometimes I love a movie the first time around but then don’t like it later on. It’s currently happening with Kal Ho Naa Ho. I don’t know why but I don’t think I like that movie anymore. It was such a pointless story. I need to watch it again to figure out what I didn’t like. Anyway, I’m indecisive and biased, I know.

Barfi! – This movie is sent in as India’s official entry for the Oscars. I can’t say I’m surprised. This is officially my most favorite movie ever. This movie is brilliant. It’s beautiful, breathtaking, uplifting, adorable, heart-breaking, and a riot. My face didn’t know what to do. I was crying, laughing, awwwing, all at the same time. I was definitely pulling some ugly faces during this movie. There were two things (trust me, there are more, but I’m narrowing it down to two) that I loved the most about this movie. 1.) The focus of this film was on two people with special needs, but their disabilities didn’t define who they were. They didn’t become caricatures or stereotypes, they became what they are: human. You didn’t fall in love with them because they’re different than “us.” You fell in love with them because they’re exactly like us: human. It’s a story of two people who seemingly don’t have anything, are disabled, people we would generally feel bad for. But their enthusiasm for life, in the big and small ways they choose to celebrate life shows us that maybe we should be envious of them instead. This concept is actually portrayed wonderfully through Shruti. You’ll (probably) understand what I mean if you’ve seen the movie. 2.) The fact that there is hardly any dialogue in this film. I also loved the scenes in which the sound would fade down to a low hum, to show us the the scene through Barfi’s point of view. When it all comes down to it, the noise coming out of our mouths and reaching our ears is just that; noise. Sometimes silence resonates louder than noise ever will, and gestures convey so much more than words ever could.

The cinematography was especially breathtaking. The scenes were slowed down to show us the beauty of every day life that we normally miss. I’m a wannabe photographer, so I know how it is to slow down, lean in, crouch down, reach up, take a step back, all so that I can capture the beauty I’m surrounded in on my camera. Barfi does exactly that, slows down to show us the beauty that can be infused in moments we’d never find beauty. For example, the scene in which Jhilmil (Priyanka) has just woken up in a place that’s unfamiliar to her. She’s been kidnapped by her childhood friend, but he’s still a stranger to her. We’re supposed to panic, right? But we don’t. One, because we know Barfi isn’t going to harm her, but two, because of the way Barfi handles the situation. He captures fireflies (those were fireflies, right?) in bubbles, and it isn’t just one firefly, he does it a few times. There’s no rush at all, the scene takes it’s time to unfold. Then Barfi slowly backs away, letting her make the decision of following him up to his house. He treated her with understanding. He did the same thing again when she wakes up to find a stranger staring at her. She’s screaming and yelling and trying to run, but he holds her and he lets her bite his hand without making a sound. She calms down a little bit and hides in the corner. Then they both play with the mirror. It’s such a quiet and peaceful scene. Especially after such an intense scene.

The only thing that I probably didn’t like about the movie was how it romanticized Jhilmil’s kidnapping. She was pretty much manipulated by Barfi and lead into his house, then she was kept their against her will when she tried to leave, and then manipulated again into staying with him. And afterwards, when she’s set free, she wants to stay with her kidnapper. Stockholm syndrome, if you will. I understand why it was done, but it could have been set up a little differently, given them a situation in which kidnapping isn’t romanticized. Things like this happen way too often in films, and sometimes people aren’t aware that they’re finding the situation endearing when it wouldn’t actually be treated the same way in reality. Like stalking. Stalking is romanticized in films all the time, but having an actual stalker is not romantic at all. It’s downright scary and dangerous. But, when it all comes down to it, it’s easy to overlook that when the rest of the movie is so perfectly executed.

Priyanka Chopra- I’ve always loved Priyanka, but if you don’t like her, or if you think she isn’t a good actress, then watch Barfi. I DARE you to not fall in love with life she puts into Jhilmil. She is so endearing, so love-able, so impossibly adorable as Jhilmil that I’m sure anyone will find it difficult to hate Priyanka after this performance. In my opinion, this is the best performance of her entire career. The next time she wants to do something big, she’s going to have to try to beat this, because this is the bar she’s set for herself. She’s so positively lively as Jhilmil. It’s as if Jhilmil was MADE for her, and her alone. Priyanka is hot. She’s sexy, she’s sensual. But with Jhilmil, you don’t see any of that. She still looks absolutely stunning, of course. But she also looks so freaking adorable and cute and cuddly and just, you want to pick her up and wrap her in your arms and take care of her and sing sweet lullabies to her until she falls asleep in your arms. I’m not even ashamed that that’s how I felt because she somehow managed to tap into her inner 5 year old and bring out every ounce of innocence and naivete that she has in her and poured it all into Jhilmil. Her mannerisms as the autistic girl blew me away completely. From a tiny tilt of her head, to the shift in her gaze and the jittery movements of her arms, to the way she carried herself as Jhilmil. She didn’t leave open a single area to find flaw in this performance. If she doesn’t win all the awards for this role, I’m never going to trust these award shows again. They won’t have any credibility if she doesn’t get all the awards this year. I don’t want to single people out, but she captured my attention in the movie more than anyone else did. I may have possibly just fallen in love with Priyanka. Just. I’m so amazed by her performance as Jhilmil. I just. I’m at a loss for words. I just really love Priyanka and Jhilmil, okay? Okay.

Ranbir- I never doubted his acting skills, but this made me believe in him like nothing else. He OWNS Barfi. It’s the same as Priyanka, you don’t see the actors anymore, all you see are Barfi and Jhilmil. And I wouldn’t have trusted Barfi with anyone else but Ranbir. I really love the way Ranbir speaks, he has a way of mesmerizing you with his tone of voice. But I didn’t even find myself missing his voice in this movie because his entire body was his voice. I was really moved during the scene in which he’s leaving Shruti after he goes to her house to propose to her. He has dialogues, he has an entire monologue that he spews at her. It’s silent, of course. But there’s so much there in that scene, so much to hear, to see, to feel. You get lost in his sorrow, in how hurt he has. And then he goes and makes it even better when he so sweetly apologizes to her right away. I was blown away.

Both Priyanka and Ranbir manage to say so much with their facial expressions. They emote so much, you can just literally see every single emotion flash across their faces. It’s beautiful to watch.

Ileana- She reminded me a little of Amrita. She looks like her a little bit, doesn’t she? Anyway, she’s gorgeous, and she can act. She wasn’t just background noise compared to Priyanka and Ranbir. She managed to hold her own. Although, I didn’t like her older self. The acting was a bit off and it just didn’t feel right. I also loved how human she was. She wasn’t shown as this morally perfect person. She did what she thought was for the best at the time, she regretted her decisions, she portrayed jealousy, but she made the right choice in the end, the choice that would define her as a person. She let Barfi go, and that showed how good her heart is. I liked her. =)

There is so much more that I can say about this movie, but I’ve already written an essay, so I’ll leave it at that. I have too many emotions, I’m sorry! :/

Bottom line; this is one helluva movie. You’ll miss out if you don’t watch it. It’s brilliant and fascinating and everyone should watch it. And I’m in love with Priyanka Chopra and her portrayal of Jhilmil.

ETA: I really hated the borrowed ideas and similar scenes to The Notebook. Not just because I didn’t like that movie, but just because original scenes would have fit the move better.

Viewing 72 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.