Saturday 23 August 2014

Book Recommendations

This topic contains 257 replies, has 21 voices, and was last updated by  Bolly_Lover 1 year, 9 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 226 through 240 (of 258 total)
  • Author

boo
    Participant

@Bolly_Lover wrote:

I feel like Rory when she was making her pro/con list for Yale, Harvard, etc.

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: love it! … or like Ross when he made a pro/con list to choose between Rachel and that other girl (Tayba will KILL me for not remembering her name, being a self-confessed Friends obsessee and all that… ooops! But I absoluuutely can’t remember right now! :S) :roll:

Bolly_Lover
    Participant

Okay, so I read my previous post and I think the pros outweigh the cons.. Just gotta figure out which one now!

Boo, her name was Julie! Ross and her were cute together.

boo
    Participant

LOL ohhh yeaaahhhhh… duh me. Incidentally, a Friend episode WITH JULIE came on TV yesterday… crajee or what! :mrgreen: PS: I still think of you when I say the word crajee… :wink: AND It’s The Time To Disco… awesome or what :-)

Bolly_Lover
    Participant

Lol nice =). I haven’t seen that movie or heard that song in so long.. it was a pretty good movie.
    Ahh.. memories!!

scarface
    Participant

FINALLY got my own copy of SHANTARAM, so cant wait to re-read :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

also got a copy of the god delusion, started reading it, am a bit weary, for the mere fact that the book has a contents page..

went shoe shopping yesterday but ended up buying a few random books at the stalls and a few book stores, cant remember the names ( have a habit of randomly picking up books that **looks** interesting – and actually turn into really good reads) but am positive will keep me occupied for a little while

am in this craze ** need to buy books** phase and from past experience, its not a good phase, I love books and reading, but am such a book-shopah-holic dat it freaks even me out at times..

Bolly_Lover
    Participant

I just finished reading “Water for Elephants” by Sarah Gruen, it was an entertaining and captivating book. I didn’t want to put it down once I started it. The protagonist is so very likeable, and the author’s writing style is very engaging. She picks up on little details and makes you examine them in a new light, she makes you think about your own future and the inevitable changes we all experience. It is a relatively short book – only 300 odd pages, so if anyones looking for a short read, I absolutely recommend this book! =)

boo
    Participant

Hey Aman sweety, good to see you back here, was wondering where you’d gone! I will have to check it out. I am STILL ploughing through Shantaram, can you believe? :|

Bolly_Lover
    Participant

I’m not surprised, that was one fat book! I’m hoping to read “Room” next, and once I’m through that I’ll give “Shantaram” a try, hope it’s good as you guys say it is :p!!

boo
    Participant

I just Amazoned that book, it looks REALLY interesting! Will you be reading it on Kindle?

This made me think, what do you think are the ‘classic’ books of our times? The ones that people will go back to in a few decades’ time and think, ‘Ah, what a beautiful book!’? It’s really confusing me – as we don’t have Charles Dickens or Jane Austen in our times, but we still have absolutely brilliant writers. But somehow it just seems like there is no one ‘wow’ book in the market nowadays? Or is there?

I would *shudder* at the idea of Dan Brown becoming our times’ classic writing!! :P Although to be fair DVC did actually make a lot of people sit up and read…

So I guess I’m talking from both a commerical and a literature perspective, I guess. Any thoughts?

ETA: Holy smokes Aman!! Just had a bit of a read around the book, and got into the case that it was inspired from. It is horrifying and saddening and shocking all at once. Oh my word.

Bolly_Lover
    Participant

Hey boo, no I haven’t purchased the Kindle yet, I’m still looking at reviews, compatibility with different text formats, etc. I think if everything checks out, I might buy it in the next week or so! Excited :).

I’m not sure what future generations will think of the authors of our time, but we do have some great writers. A few names I can think off the top of my head include Margaret Atwood, Salman Rushdie, and J K Rowling (I know people might not agree with me on this one, but I personally love the HP series, especially the later novels. Plus, she got people curious and into reading!)

And about there being a “wow” book I think it really depends on a person’s perspective and what they enjoy reading. For example, if you like legal thrillers, you would like John Grisham’s last book or the Millennium series by Steig Larrson.

I was hoping to be reading “Room” by now, but unfortunately it is STILL not out in paperback. So ridiculous, I’ve been waiting for months! Getting frustrated.. I just started “Committed” by Elizabeth Gilbert last night. I loved “Eat, Pray, Love.” It was on sale for 40% off at the supermarket and I was out of books to read!

Oh and I enjoyed Dan Brown’s “DVC” and “Angels and Demons”. Thought his last book “The Lost Symbol” was strictly average, there was no mystery or suspense and it was obvious who the mystery character was. I don’t think he’d make the list of the best authors of our time, IMO.

Bolly_Lover
    Participant

Got the Kindle!! Love it so far =).

I read “The Palace of Illusions” by Chitra Banerjee Divakaruni and a few short stories by Aravind Adiga. Next on my list to read are: “The White Tiger” by Aravind Adiga, and “Shantaram”, should be good, I”ve heard good things about both these books :).

Bolly_Lover
    Participant

Okay, so I loveee my Kindle so far! It’s awesome how the ebooks are so much cheaper than buying print (though I still miss the feel of the books, and actually flipping through the pages). I also love that you can preview a few chapters of the book before buying it.

Also, I wanted to recommend a book I read a while ago and recently re-discovered, it’s titled “Unaccustomed Earth” by Jhumpa Lahiri, author of “The Namesake.” It is a collection of a number of short stories, all of which are really engaging – you truly don’t want to put this novel down!!

boo
    Participant

Unaccustomed Earth is on my to read list too!

A friend recently bought me ‘A Fine Balance’ by Rohinton Mistry, which I’ve been meaning to read for AGES and the best thing is, I remember Aman having recommended that book to me like, wow over 6 years ago now… :( I am terrible recommended-reader! But I remember wanting to read it for ages so I finally get to read it whoooop!

BUT a random girl I met on a long bus journey gifted to me (! i know! very sweet gesture it was :) ) her book (which was a spare, second-hand copy anyway) called Redeeming Love by Francine Rivers. I heard it’s in the genre of Christian lit/Christian romance style… has anyone read it?

I dunno which of these to read first!

STILL need to finish Shantaram.. might not even get to finish it or even pick it up for another month or so as life is so so so busy!!! It’s so UNFAIR. :evil: But oh well. :-)

Bolly_Lover
    Participant

Lol that is very sweet of your friend. “A Fine Balance” is a great book, one of my favorites. Mistry is undoubtedly a gifted writer and does a great job of incorporating real historical events into his writing and depicting the socio-cultural environment of India. The characters are so real and well-defined, you can feel their joy and their sadness and desperation.. I read the book for the second time several years ago, but I still find myself thinking about the characters and their situations – they just kinda stay with you!!

Don’t think I’ve ever heard of that novel or the author. Fine Balance is a pretty long book, so read whatever you have time for :).

I’m currently reading “Sacred Games” by Vikram Chandra. I keep finding new great books, and my “to read list” never gets shorter. Wish I had more time to read.

boo
    Participant

I probably won’t read either book as I need all the luggage space I can muster for all the shopping I am going to (hopefully) do, plus I always think it’s nicer buying books at the place of travel itself. =) I have lost all interest in picking up a book and reading of late, just want to get in my car and drive far away! :(

How is your book?

Viewing 15 posts - 226 through 240 (of 258 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Opinions are closed.